Software Engineering at BuildDirect
As a member of our Technology team at BuildDirect, you work with a multi-disciplinary group of bright and motivated people. You and your team operate autonomously to solve real customer problems with smart and innovative solutions, end to end. You own your product architecture, implementation, deployment and operations. You are empowered and accountable for its full life cycle. You measure success and its impact with data collected from our platform. You will use modern software engineering approaches like micro-services, cloud deployment and auto scaling, continuous and iterative software delivery, and data-driven decision making.
In our polyglot environment we work in and on a variety of languages and platforms: .NET, ReactJS, NodeJS, Python, PHP, even some Typescript, of which we run on either AWS or MS Azure clouds. We love to be data driven and measure the impact of everything we release, supported by an Analytics group that drives key insights. Our teams have the information they need at their fingertips to create the roadmap of their product and the tools to continuously release and get feedback from our customers. What are our Software Engineers doing here at BuildDirect?
What are we looking for in our team?
- Our team is building new machine learning focused product search for home owners, built on top of GroupBy, to optimize search results to the needs of the homeowner
- An analytics dashboard which tells suppliers and manufacturers where the demand for their products is and how to optimize that demand
- A shipping engine which can optimize shipping costs and routing based on location of the customer and our various warehouses, at a scale of millions of pounds every month
- Design Center, a design tool which allows homeowners to create room designs in seconds and to visualize products in 3D
- A shopping cart for heavy goods which builds trust, ease of purchase and scale for millions of users every month
- A unique review and rating engine which captures user feedback and enables the community to drive buying decisions from it
- Knowledge, experience and interest in back-end software development
- Curious, challenge-loving Software Engineers comfortable working in different languages and parts of the stack
- Care and rigor in code quality, engineering best practices and testing
- Interest and exposure to cloud platforms and web patterns
- Lovers of learning - inquisitive people who are self-driven to continuously learn and improve
What is our mission?
- Unlimited paid vacation
- "Learn something new" benefit – a learning fund to use on improving your knowledge and skills, getting better every day means constantly learning.
- Stock options
- Free weekly yoga class
- Fresh organic fruit
- Onsite gym/lockers/bike storage
- A fabulous office in downtown Vancouver with penthouse patios and mountain views
- It’s not all work and no play! We have socials every Friday afternoon in our lounge so you can connect with your teammates, relax and wind down at the end of the week
BuildDirect is a technology company, building an open platform for the home improvement industry. Our platform enables homeowners and contractors to find the perfect home improvement product from a large online selection. Our mission is to transform the home improvement industry, empower homeowners to create their dream home, enable suppliers and manufacturers to supply what homeowners really want and the way they want it, and reimagining the home improvement industry.BuildDirect by the numbers
Founded in 1999 in beautiful Vancouver. Today over 300 employees with more than 110 in the Technology groups in Vancouver, Waterloo and Bangalore. Every month 2.5 million home owners visit BuildDirect and we ship eight million pounds of products over a distance of about six million miles. Learn more at https://www.builddirect.com/welcome .
Check us out at https://twitter.com/bdcareers