Amazon's AWS Database and Analytics UX team is looking for a seasoned software development manager to build the world class user interface for our customer. If you are passionate about building great teams, and working on leading edge technologies, then this role is for you
Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS you can requisition compute power, storage, and other services, gaining access to a suite of elastic IT infrastructure services as your business demands them. AWS is the leading platform for designing and developing applications for the cloud, has over 400,000 third party developers writing applications for the platform and is currently used by leading companies like New York Times, Netflix and NASA/JPL. See details at http://aws.amazon.com. This is a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor within a fast growing business and help shape the technology, product and the business.
As the engineering team leader, you'll work closely with local engineering staff and a team of experts to design and execute your team's feature roadmap. You will have direct input into requirement definition, and will work closely with our customers, developers and product managers to define, develop and deliver new Simple Workflow features.
You will also lead efforts to improve your team's performance and stability, drive recruiting efforts, developing existing development talent, and fostering Amazon's developer-oriented culture. Successful candidates will have an established track record delivery developing complex distributed software systems, keen technical aptitude, excellent project management skills, solid communication skills, and be driven to achieve results in a fast paced environment.
Key responsibilities include:
• Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed project plans and schedules; manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team by defining, implementing and maintaining a coherent, progressive development strategy for our product line.
• Delivery of quality applications on-time and on-budget
• Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
• Management of departmental resources, staffing, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
• Evolution of the software engineering practice within the organization, including better reporting, tools, and evolution of development methodology
• Continue to build an effective development organization by driving the recruiting and hiring of senior level engineers, developing and managing the group, and conducting performance reviews of team members
• Create and execute appropriate quality plans, project plans, test strategies and processes for development activities in concert with business and project management efforts.
• Drive and manage the bug triage process, represent development team in project meetings to ensure efficient testing and bug fixing process, and be an effective advocate for the development group
• Report on status of product quality to management, customer support and product teams via rigorous execution of detailed plans and accurate reporting of test cases executed, bugs discovered, bugs fixed, etc.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• 5+ years of experience as a software developer
• 3+ years of experience managing people
• Object-oriented design and coding skills (Java and/or C/C++)
• Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures, test driven development
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems
• Experience building highly scalable web applications
• Passion for people management and mentorship.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skillsPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to break down complex concepts into easily understood frameworks and models.
• Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others, and the ability to establish and sell the business and technical vision for a complicated problem area
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Software and Programming