Software Development Manager - AWS Messaging
Reference ID: 774887
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers tens of thousands of businesses around the world! The messaging team owns and operates Simple Queue Service(SQS) among other core messaging services which provides AWS customers with the cloud infrastructure for building highly scalable, asynchronous and fault tolerant distributed cloud applications. It's a core architectural component of the critical systems for Amazon as well as many leading global enterprises running on AWS. If you are passionate about the challenges of big scale, building cutting edge technologies and making developing distributed applications easy and reliable then the AWS Messaging team is for you.
We are looking for a Software Development Manager to lead and define the technical direction, and follow through with detailed architecture and design, build exceptional teams and drive operation excellence of a massive scale (think multi-million tps) distributed system.
How do you know if you are a good fit for us? You are fascinated by and want to innovate in distributed fault-tolerant systems that operate at scale. You love customers. When our customers ask for the next big feature, you know this means you'll be able to truly dig into the solution and get it done right. You love owning the project from idea to production, delivering not only in the implementation but in all phases from the kernel of an idea to quickly getting that battle-tested code into production. You enjoy collaborating with your teammates. You love working in agile programming environments and running fast to deliver evolution for your AWS services.
Key responsibilities include:
• Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed project plans and schedules; manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team by defining, implementing and maintaining a coherent, progressive development strategy for our product line.
• Delivery of quality applications on-time and on-budget
• Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
• Management of departmental resources, staffing, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
• Evolution of the software engineering practice within the organization, including better reporting, tools, and evolution of development methodology
• Continue to build an effective development organization by driving the recruiting and hiring of senior level engineers, developing and managing the group, and conducting performance reviews of team members
• Create and execute appropriate quality plans, project plans, test strategies and processes for development activities in concert with business and project management efforts.
• Drive and manage the bug triage process, represent development team in project meetings to ensure efficient testing and bug fixing process, and be an effective advocate for the development group
• Report on status of product quality to management, customer support and product teams via rigorous execution of detailed plans and accurate reporting of test cases executed, bugs discovered, bugs fixed, etc.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• 7+ years of software development experience, as a developer or manager
• 2+ years of experience as a development manager (with direct authority over development staff)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, sense of ownership, urgency and drive
• MS, Ph.D. in Computer Science or a relevant technical discipline
• 5+ years of software development experience as a manager
Posted: March 18, 2019
Closes: May 17, 2019