Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a dynamic and rapidly growing cloud computing business within Amazon. AWS Kumo is an engineering organization, making it easier for AWS customers to bring their workloads to the cloud. We use automation and the combination of AI and high judgement humans to proactively support AWS customers in their cloud journey.
Our strategy for reducing friction for AWS customers, involves bringing together the global community of AWS builders. Currently, the community is dispersed and diluted (AWS Forums, StackOverflow etc).
We want to build a new community portal where builders can discover and contribute solutions to problems faced by AWS builders. To attract builders, we want to enhance solution discovery though targeted recommendations. We want to use ML to rank problems/FAQs in need of solutions which in turn can be used to gamify the contribution process. We don't have the entire strategy ironed out, so we are searching for a leader who is can switch between "gut" and data as we navigate this problem space.
This is a green field project, which has both business and technical ambiguity, so is suitable for a versatile engineering leader who thrives being close to customers and working through ambiguity. Furthermore this is first Kumo engineering team in Vancouver so we require a tenured Amazonian leader to build a new organization with the right culture while staying connected to stakeholders in SEA.
We have a need for a Software Development Manager who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. This person will have the responsibility to:
• Define and drive the multi-year vision for technical products.
• Drive project initiatives to deliver robust and scalable solutions toward this vision, incorporate in new technologies as appropriate.
• Work closely with Development Managers, Engineers and Technical Project Managers across the company to influence product development to support or enhance products.
• Build relationships with existing and potential internal customers to understand their requirements and demonstrate how products can add value to their business.
• Work with Project Managers to add new features to roadmaps, prioritize them, and facilitate delivery on requirements and functional specifications.
• Own, oversee, and delegate the design, architecture, development, testing, deployment, and delivery of large-scale global software applications, systems, platforms, services or technologies.
• Using Agile project management methodologies, and project management for all aspects of the software development lifecycle (SDLC) for multiple projects that leverage Object Oriented design (OOD), distributed programming, C++, Perl and Java.
• Build, manage, and develop world-class engineers and project managers, including hiring recommendations, and guide and mentor engineers and project managers within and outside of the team.
• Ensure high quality design reviews which meet business and architectural goals and drive critical feedback on architecture and design issues.
• Oversee resource allocation to ensure appropriate business and staff development goals are met.
• Participate in strategic planning to achieve technical and business with team, management chain and with customersBASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• A minimum of 5 years of experience managing a team of software development professionals within a distributed systems environment.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field plus five years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty as equivalent
• PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
• Two years of experience in the job offered or related occupation must involve using Object Oriented design (OOD), distributed programming, C++, Perl and Java; managing all aspects of the software development lifecycle of multiple software development projects using an Agile project management methodology (Spiral, Iterative Spiral,
• Extreme/Agile Project Management, Scrum); and directly managing engineering staff and making hiring and promotion decisions.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong business and technical vision
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
** For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit http://aws.amazon.com **
Software and Programming