Managing trillions of objects in storage, retrieving them in milliseconds, building software that deploys to tens of thousands of hosts, designed for 99.999999999% durability. These are just a few of the numbers that give you a sense of the scale of the exciting problems you will find every day working on Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3). Amazon S3 provides a simple web services interface that can be used to store and retrieve any amount of data at any time, from anywhere on the web. It gives any developer access to the same highly scalable, reliable, secure, fast, inexpensive infrastructure that Amazon uses to run its own global network of web sites.
Amazon S3 powers businesses across the globe that make the lives of consumers better daily. Whether its electronic content delivered to your home, technology that betters your remote working experience, allows you to plan travel to exotic places or simply get stuff delivered to your home. As a Software Development Engineer in S3, you get to deliver these capabilities and delight our customers through teams of talented engineers and leaders.
We are looking for software engineers to lead innovation in our Amazon S3 storage request plane team and help us build the next generation of highly scaleable, fault tolerant services. We seek smart, passionate and visionary people to help us define this exciting new technology.
• Design, implementation, deployment and maintenance of innovative software solutions to deliver new features in performance, cost, high availability
• Use software engineering best practices to ensure the standard of quality of all team deliverables
• Build and implement high quality distributed system software.
• Work in an agile environment, prioritizing most important and impactful projects
• Collaborate and communicate in team settings
• Mentor team members as well as build relationships with business and technical leadership
Our team puts high value on work/life balance. We recognize that the circumstances of our team members vary, and we balance work across the team so that we're all able to maintain high standards on behalf of our customers, as well as allow for rich and happy personal lives. We maintain a regular on-call rotation across our teams with engineers and managers all taking part to resolve the inevitable issues that arise. We don't like getting paged outside of work hours so we work to ensure our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged we work together to resolve root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Upon joining S3, every employee is paired with a peer buddy who will help you to quickly come up to speed in understanding the technology we're building, the tools we use and the business problems we're trying to solve. We hire exceptional people and we recognize the importance of coaching others. We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, and job level.
We have a diverse team and drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Our team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network (BEN), Amazon Women in Engineering (AWE) and Glamazon (our LGBTQ+ community).BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related fieldPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Practical experiencing working with and building large scale distributed systems
• Strong customer focus - understanding of what customers expect from their compute infrastructure and passion for delivering on these problems and satisfying those customers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Software and Programming