Are you passionate about using Big Data to build customer trust and grow new business? Amazon Web Services is seeking an dedicated Software Development Engineer that can combine open source technologies such as Spark, Hadoop and Presto, as well as AWS services like DynamoDB, Kinesis, Elastic Map Reduce and Redshift to build the next generation of our analytics and data orchestration platform. This is your opportunity to be a core part of the team that has direct impact on the day-to-day decision making in many AWS Product teams like EC2, S3, Lambda, IoT and more.
Join a rapidly growing team of software and data engineers that are building best-in-class tools and large-scale distributed systems to enable big data processing and analytics in the cloud. You will use software best-practices to develop massively scalable, robust software which thrives in the onslaught of traffic from massive cloud computing services like S3, EC2, CloudFront, VPC, and others. You will create innovative applications and services that will help business users get the best analytics experience in face of rapidly and ever-evolving changes in the business landscape.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for big data, strong experience in distributed systems and web services design, as well as an ability to work on highly available production systems. You will be a key stakeholder in the technical architecture of our BI and Data platforms. You will get the exciting opportunity to work on very large data sets in one of the world's largest and most complex data warehouse environments. Our team is serious about great design and redefining best practices with a cloud-based approach to scalability and automation. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and an ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
Our team tackles some of the hardest scalability, performance, and distributed computing challenges in the world. We process billions of line items via map reduce (EMR), and manage artifacts through the latest in database technologies (DynamoDB and Redshift). We process big data and are building our next generation analytics for customers. Come be part of history!
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• 5+ years of software development experience and a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or a related discipline
• Fluency and experience in Java
• Fluency and experience in one or more of the following: Ruby, Python, Scala, Spark
• 5+ years experience in object-oriented design and development
• 5+ years experience in distributed systems and web services design
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Clear, professional communication skills able to contribute to team discussions, knowing when to contribute, when to listen, and when to ask questions
• A passion for technology. We are looking for someone who is keen to leverage their existing skills while trying new approaches.
• Experience designing and implementing highly scalable web services
• Experience building and operating mission critical, highly available (24x7) systems
• Experience with Big Data technology like Apache Hadoop, NoSQL, Presto, etc.
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience in databases, analytics, big data systems or business intelligence products
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Software and Programming