We're building a new team to launch a V1 product and business within Amazon Web Services. We're at the early stages of what promises to be a big business for Amazon and our customers. We own our product roadmap, technical design, engineering process, launch plan, go to market, and P&L. Our team is made up of inspired product managers, strong technical leaders, innovative and customer centric designers, and motivated, autonomous software engineers.
As a Software Development Engineer on the team, you operate at all levels, diving deep into the details while providing strategic inputs for the product. You will design and implement product and platform features that deliver customer benefit at scale. You will work closely with product managers, UX designers, senior and peer-level software engineers to deliver critical and complex products and features. You will own quality and deployment for your code. You will mentor junior team members to improve their skills and raise the bar on software development best practices. You're expected to think like an owner, driving the right thinking on time to market, quality, and breadth of functionality for users.
The ideal candidate is a creative technology leader with both breadth and depth of relevant technologies. This opportunity requires excellent technical, problem-solving, and communication skills. At the core of the position is to be able to innovate by defining solutions that can scale and deliver on customer value. Ideal candidates have extensive experience with agile methodologies, and show bias for action while working within a cohesive, startup-style team.
You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that's higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving problems that, frankly, haven't been solved at scale before. You will gain an understanding of how Amazon operates around a number of different product areas and help influence the direction of these products. Along the way, we guarantee that you'll learn a ton, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 3+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
• 4+ years professional experience in software development
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, or PerlPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Equivalent experience to a Master's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
• Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
Software and Programming