Software Engineering at BuildDirect
As a member of our Technology team at BuildDirect, you work with a multi-disciplinary group of bright and motivated people. As Architect you think about the platform end-to-end and make sure that the right building blocks are built and fit together seamlessly. You worry about today’s needs and built for tomorrow’s future needs, so extensibility, separation of concerns and plug and play replaceability are on top of your mind. You think about the developer experience and how the industry will be interacting and building on top of BuildDirect’s platform. You are empowered and accountable for the full life cycle of our platform. You measure success and its impact with data collected from our platform. You will use modern software engineering approaches like micro services, cloud deployment and auto scaling, continuous and iterative software delivery, and data driven decision making.
We are equally obsessed with hiring great colleagues as with building great software.
Today we use the following four platforms: .NET, Node JS, Python and PHP, and we run on the Amazon AWS cloud. We are insanely data driven and measure the impact of everything we release, supported by an Analytics group that drives key insights. Our teams have the information they need at their fingertips to create the roadmap of their product and the tools to continuously release and get feedback from our customers.Examples of what Software Architects are creating here
Experience that is relevant to us
- Create the de-facto home improvement platform and APIs for BuildDirect
- Architect, implement and test product components and APIs
- Work with the various teams and drive forward our architecture standards and engineering practices
- Foster new and improve existing engineering best practices within BuildDirect
- Mentor Software Engineers to become better engineers
- Drive our adoption of Automation, Continuous Delivery and DevOps
What is BuildDirect’s mission?
- Experience with cloud platforms like Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud
- Built software on programming platforms like .NET, Python or Node JS
- Architected a cloud platform for large scale use or high volume
- Ability to conceptualize, articulate and visualize the platform/system components from a simple discussion
- Knowledge of Hypermedia, event-driven systems, micro-services or DevOps
- Experience with iterative software delivery using Agile, XP, Scrum or Kanban
- Always curious and always wanting to continuously learn and improve yourself
BuildDirect is a technology company, building an open platform for the home improvement industry. Our platform enables home-owners and contractors to find the perfect home improvement product from a large online selection. Our mission is to transform the home improvement industry, empower home owners to create their dream home, enable suppliers and manufacturers to supply what home owners really want and the way they want it, and reimagining the home improvement industry.BuildDirect by the numbers
Founded in 1999 in beautiful Vancouver. Today over 300 employees with more than 110 in the Technology groups in Vancouver, Waterloo and Bangalore. Every month 2.5 million home owners visit BuildDirect and we ship eight million pounds of products over a distance of about six million miles. Learn more at https://www.builddirect.com/Welcome BuildDirect benefits
- Unlimited paid vacation
- "Learn something new" benefit – use it to learn anything… Getting better every day means constantly learning.
- You’ll learn more in one year at BD than anywhere else!
- Stock options
- Free weekly yoga class, fresh organic fruit, and onsite gym/lockers/bike storage
- A fabulous office in downtown Vancouver with penthouse patios and mountain views
- It’s not all work and no play! We have socials every Friday afternoon in our lounge so you can connect with your team mates and relax and wind down at the end of the week