Skills Mentor in Kelowna (3 year term)
This position requires you to work one-on-one with unemployed youth. Accurate and continuous administration and safe keeping of youth participant information and profiles, data collection, satisfying reporting requirements, and meeting work schedule deliverables within time frames, are essential to meeting role deliverables.
This project is designed to engage unemployed Aboriginal youth through the offering of a range of traditional and culturally rich learning experiences, to increase participant self-esteem, to develop resiliency, to increase a desire to engage in skills training, or to pursue further education, or alternatively to attain direct employment.
This pilot project will generate the first comprehensive research in Canada that measure the impact of the traditional, cultural and mentoring approach in preparing Aboriginal youth to obtain gainful employment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Project Manager and other Skills Mentors to meet deliverables
- Develop and retain strong and respectful relationships with Elders in the communities
- Work with community members and Band staff to identify and recruit participants to the project
- Work one-on-one with participants to identify their personal barriers to employment,
- Identify needs for skills training or further education
- Work collaboratively with the staff from the Bands to learn from their experiences with unemployed youth in their communities, and to enhance and support their current efforts and program offerings
- Develop and maintain on-going working relationships with participating education and training centres
- Work with participants to create personal development plans with graduated steps to help them engage fully in traditional cultural activities
- Ability to identified course offerings and/or the specially designed programs leading to attaining personal success
- Work as part of a team with College’s Continuing Education staff to identify and to help create courses and other specialized seminars or conferences created to meet the individual youth participants’
- Participate in the Project’s formative research stage regarding the development and implementation of cultural activities, training schedules and collection and safe keeping of data
- Develop active and collaborative working relationships with the two lead researchers and their research staff assigned to the project
- Ensure the Project Manager has all required information for the purposes of completing detailed project reports
- Assist the Project Manager to ensure that the initial program introduction and on-going communications are carried out to keep the communities and their leadership informed
- Report any changes or refinements needed for maximum information sharing with the community and the youth participants
- Take responsibility for monitoring the part of the project budget and report back to the Project Manager on budgetary issues
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a social or economic science field is preferred, or work/education equivalences especially related to experience working with youth
- Must be willing and able to work well with First Nations youth, including a full range of community members and staff, while demonstrating and applying cultural awareness and cultural competency with sensitivity
- Ability to multi-task and to work comfortably under stress with tight deadlines
- Energetic, detailed and self-motivated with demonstrated written, public speaking and presentations skills
- Working knowledge of computer software including MS office
- A reliable vehicle and a valid class 5 driver’s license
- Criminal records check required
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours, which will include evenings and weekends
- Aboriginal ancestry preferred
Please apply online @ http://www.expertrecruiters.com/search-jobs/ with your resume and cover letter to the attention of Darcia Bower, Managing Director, quoting reference # 2404-D, if you have already met a member of our team and are interested in this role please call or email us asap.
Expert Recruiters locally established staffing and consulting firm with a national reach; established in 1999 by its Managing Director Darcia Bower, who has over 20 years’ experience helping clients and candidates reach their goals. Expert Recruiters takes great pride in providing a more personal, boutique style staffing and recruitment agency experience. From the moment you walk through the door, you’ll recognize that Expert Recruiters provides a warm and welcoming environment for both our candidates and our clients, with all of our applications treated with the strictest of confidence