The Office of the CIO (OCIO) comprises the IT Services (ITS) and Business Transformation Office (BTO). The unit is experiencing a period of exciting transformation and growth with the goal of improving the technology experience and service delivery to UFV’s students, faculty, and staff.
Reporting to the Service Desk Team Lead, the Service Desk Analyst 2 (SDA2) you will provide support to users at basic to complex levels; installs, supports and provides training on various hardware, software, printers, telephones and other devices such as smartphones/tablets; and provides technical guidance to more junior staff. The SDA2 will provide support for level 1 service desk analysts by assisting in first contact support and resolving increasingly complex or novel service requests and critical incidents. Additional focus areas will be activities such as the creation and review of knowledgebase articles, review of processes and activities for improvement opportunities, and ensuring the quality resolution of incidents and service requests in adherence to agreed upon service level agreements.
The SDA2 role is responsible for ensuring client requirements are met in terms of communication, documentation, prioritization, escalation and resolution of incidents as well as the fulfillment of service requests following established procedures. The SDA2 provides high caliber customer service and supports users both remotely and in person to diagnose and resolve problems relating to accessing and using the UFV network. The UFV network includes, but is not limited to, printing, telephony, using UFV applications, audio-visual systems, software/hardware in labs and classrooms and client computing devices. The SDA2 provides technical guidance to more junior staff including student co-ops and auxiliary staff where required.
Duties and Responsibilities
IT Service Desk Operations
- Assist with first contact support of incoming requests to the service desk when volumes are high or staffing needs require it
- Fulfill standard service requests following procedural documentation
- Act as an escalation point for advanced or difficult incidents and service requests
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups with Level 1 Service Desk Analysts as required
- Build rapport with service desk customers
- Communicates effectively with users and colleagues to expedite problem resolution and ensures incidents are resolved through adequate follow-up
- Escalate incidents with accurate documentation to suitable technician, team (Tier 2\Tier 3), or vendor when required
- Prioritize incidents and service requests according to defined processes to meet defined SLAs
- Reinforce SLAs to manage end-user expectations
- Participates in or undertakes project related tasks when appropriate
- Assist in software releases and rollouts according to change management best practices
- Alert management to emerging trends in incidents
- Deploy pre-packaged software using distribution tools and processes as requested by end users.
- Maintains accurate and complete documentation of calls received and tracks activities with applicable tracking tools
- Installs and supports various hardware, software, printers, telephones and other devices such as smartphones/tablets for staff, faculty, and students
- Sets up and installs new computer systems according to established standards and ensures prompt return of old equipment
- Perform hands-on fixes at the service desk when remote tools are not appropriate, including hardware repairs, delivery of peripherals, or other fixes as determined
- Maintains secure configurations on all laptops and desktops according to strict standards
- Ensures operational continuity and prevents data loss on behalf of users
- Provides technical advice, guidance, demonstration and support in the use and access to technology, including the use of computer software, hardware and tools
- Provides training, mentorship, and technical guidance to more junior staff
- Performs other duties as required to deliver exceptional service and to support UFV’s goals
- Provides support as required for classroom technologies
- Develop knowledgebase articles, help sheets, and FAQ lists for end users
- Review new, and existing knowledgebase, articles, help sheets, and FAQ lists for completeness and accuracy
- Research solutions through internal and external knowledgebase as needed.
- Maintains current knowledge of UFV’s hardware and software, application functionality and the high level architecture of UFV’s technical environment
- Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for problem identification and ways to prevent recurring incidents.
- Test fixes to ensure an incident has been adequately resolved.
- Participate in IT Service Management improvement initiatives
- Record, track, and document the service desk incident-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made and actions taken, through to final resolution.
- Creates documentation for service desk systems and procedures and recommends changes to improve productivity and efficiency of the service desk process as appropriate
- Provide suggestions for continual improvement
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and courses; reviewing professional publications; and establishing personal networks.
- Assesses new systems and methodologies
- Attend workshops, training and conferences
- Monitor new products and upgrades
- Liaise with peers at other colleges and universities
Education and Training
- Diploma in Information Technology or related discipline from an accredited post-secondary, and three years related experience supporting a variety of technology such as desktops (Windows / Mac), audio-visual equipment, printers, infrastructure (DNS, networking, applications, software and associated peripheral equipment), or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) certification an asset.
- Help Desk Institute (HDI) certification an asset
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, methodologies, tools and techniques utilized in providing technical desktop support
- Advanced knowledge of hardware components, operating systems, and applications, including good working knowledge of Active Directory user and computer management, IP, DHCP and Exchange System management
- Ability to gather information, diagnose and analyze a variety of complex technical issues and deliver creative and innovative technical solutions
- Ability to produce effective operational and systems documentation. Strong analytical, problem solving, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with clients, technical teams and other co-workers, work to schedules and adapt easily to changing priorities and business needs
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills. Ability to work on multiple projects in a team environment
- Experience working within a Service Desk ITSM or ticketing tool
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive data using discretion
- Proficiency in the use of remote desktop management and support tools
- Ability to arrange suitable transportation when travelling to work at other locations
- Detail oriented, able to approach problems logically
The University of the Fraser Valley is located on the unceded (ancestral) territory of the Halq'eméylem-speaking peoples. We express our gratitude and respect for the honour of living and working in S’olh Temexw (Our World; Our Land). In all that we do, UFV strives to support and honour the Stó:lo peoples goals of self-determination and well-being on these lands. A commitment to Indigenization and Reconciliation is core to our institutional Vision and our Education Plan. This commitment includes the goal of centring Indigenous ways of knowing throughout our organization, recognizing our responsibilities to community, and a multi-year plan to increase the number of Indigenous faculty, staff, and administrators working at UFV.
UFV has four campus locations within the beautiful Fraser Valley in British Columbia. Recognized as one of BC's top employers, UFV offers a combination of career and lifestyle benefits. Join a team of 1,400 passionate professionals who value integrity, inclusivity and excellence. At UFV, you will serve a vibrant community, and shape the future of 15,000 students.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In an effort to be both environmentally and fiscally responsible, UFV will contact only candidates receiving an interview. We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment. Shortlisted applicants may be required to undergo a criminal record check and/ or a verification of their education credentials.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.