December 8, 2023 Job Summary:
Are you looking for an opportunity to advance your career? Then look no further because at GCMC we are looking for a Senior Tunneling Specialist to join our team!
Reporting to the Manager of Engineering, the individual in this role is responsible for leading the scoping and pre-feasibility level definition, optimization, evaluation, and comparison of alternate tunnel alignment options. This role will contribute as an integral member of the GCMC Project Team, and work in close collaboration with the Project Management, Technical, Engineering, Health & Safety, and Social, Environmental, and Regulatory affairs (SERA) disciplines to ensure design and planning in accordance with overall project and regulatory requirements.
The successful candidate must posses a strong background in tunnel design and construction methods. We are specifically looking for an individual with outstanding communication skills and with the ability to build and nurture positive relationships with individuals of a diverse set of backgrounds. Don't miss out on this great opportunity and join our team! Overview:
This position is based out of the Galore Creek Mining Corporation (GCMC) head office in Vancouver.
Located in northwestern British Columbia, Galore Creek is one of the world's largest undeveloped porphyry copper-gold-silver deposits.GCMC, a partnership between Newmont Corporation (Newmont) and Teck Resources Limited (Teck), is committed to improving the project economics and advancing the asset towards development.Working closely with the Tahltan Nation and other local communities, we strive for excellence in all our activities, through continuous improvement and responsible practices that contribute to sustainable development.
More information on the company and Project is available at www.gcmc.ca . Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, leading by example and fostering a proactive safety and sustainability culture based on the common values of health, safety, environment, and communities shared by the asset owners (Teck and Newmont). Support the implementation of and adherence to GCMC's Health, Safety, Environmental, and Community (HSEC) policy. As an integral member of the Project Team, provide leadership in developing and ensuring a robust HSEC program and culture are embedded in all aspects of project engineering, development, and execution
- As a member of a multi-disciplinary project team, collaborate and influence Project activities to ensure adherence to cost, schedule, and progress objectives, identify opportunities and mitigate risks, and proactively develop, communicate, and execute strategic action plans to correct deviations and/or realize value
- Work closely with the broader Galore Creek project team, Partner subject matter experts, and engineering and permitting consultants, to support the holistic evaluation of tunnel options, including technical design, cost, schedule, environmental / regulatory, and risk elements, and decision-making processes
- Lead the following key functions for GCMC, with support and guidance from the Manager of Engineering and broader GCMC Project Team:
- Interpretation of geological model into a range of potential support class requirements, and other key drivers of tunnel engineering design, execution schedule, and cost
- Oversee and coordinate tunnel engineering consultant tunnel option development, integration, and trade-off studies, and deliverable reviews, to ensure seamless alignment (no scope gaps or overlap) with interfacing consultant groups, and optimization of tunnel envelope and alignment concepts to reflect:
- Tunnel geology (faults, ground conditions, etc.), and related uncertainties
- Portal orientation
- Ore conveyance requirements
- Oversize load and mine traffic clearance requirements
- Other mine service requirements
- Anticipated groundwater flows
- Preliminary fire-life-safety (FLS) and other operational requirements
- Engagement process with external tunnel excavation contractors, including:
- Key selection criteria
- Evaluation and selection process
- Preparation of technical information package
- Review, scrutinization, and interpretation of external contractor responses
- Identification and realization of tunnel value improvement opportunities, with an emphasis on tunnel excavation schedule and cost.
- Identification, quantification, management, and mitigation of key tunnel risks
- Preparation of FEL-2A (prefeasibility study) stage specific engineering and integrated deliverable requirements for individual tunnel options, with consideration to external tunnel excavation contractor responses and rationale, including but not limited to:
- Engineering design concepts
- Execution schedule
- Capital cost
- Risk (technical, schedule, cost, etc.)
- Working with GCMC and the tunnel engineering consultant, develop decision-making framework to compare and contrast tunnel alignment options, and align on the recommended options to advance to the next stage of engineering development.
- Development of 2024 technical data collection objectives and scope, in collaboration with GCMC geotechnical, geoscience, and Field Operations disciplines, to improve confidence in geological conditions and reduce risks, including but not limited to:
- Gap analysis of existing geotechnical baseline information
- Drilling, geophysics, mapping, and engineering field visit programs.
- Coordinate with GCMC SERA group to identify any special environmental or regulatory requirements related to tunnel design, construction, or operations
- Proactively identify emerging issues, and develop and implement mitigation plans
- Completion of all FEL-2A (prefeasibility study) stage specific engineering and integrated deliverable requirements
- Build respectful working relationships within the Project Team, asset owners, consultants, and external stakeholders including various levels of government and the Tahltan Nation to contribute to the stability and functionality of GCMC's reputation, management, and governance practices
The above accountabilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive. Qualifications:
- A minimum of 15 years of solid, progressive experience in one or a combination of Owner's team environment, construction company, or engineering, procurement, and construction management (EPCM) company with a focus on tunnel projects
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in geotechnical, geological, or civil engineering, or similar field
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) licensed to practice in British Columbia preferred
- Detailed knowledge of geology and rock mechanics
- Versatile and experienced tunnelling professional, with direct engineering and construction exposure to:
- Large diameter tunnels (6-8m+)
- Deep tunnels (700m+)
- Hard and soft rock conditions
- Transitions between poor and good quality rock conditions
- Grouting under high pressure conditions
- Portal design and construction in steep mountainous terrain, including consideration to geotechnical and snow avalanche hazards
- Alternate tunnel excavation methodologies, including advance rate optimization
- Remote project site locations
- High degree of comfort managing complex engineering challenges and decision-making amidst technical uncertainty and risks, and in a collaborative manner with other team members, subject matter experts (SMEs), and external service providers
- Experience working in remote and steep mountainous terrain is preferred, with direct experience working in NW British Columbia or Yukon considered a strong asset
- Able to build relationships across a large multidisciplinary team
- Results oriented, with proven ability to work under pressure, proactively address issues and prioritize tasks to achieve tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Proficient digital literacy, i.e., Microsoft Office suite
- Strong interpersonal skills and personal effectiveness; proven ability to influence and cultivate team alignment and buy in
Pay Range: $129,000 - $160,000
At GCMC, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. GCMC respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Learn more about Galore Creek at www.gcmc.ca .
#LI-DF1 Job Segment:
Engineer, Civil Engineer, Compliance, Regulatory Affairs, Geology, Engineering, Legal