Position Summary SENIOR TECHNICAL OFFICER Job ID: 3941 REGULAR/FULL-TIME Location: BURNABY, BC To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada. THE ORGANIZATION
- Join one of BC's Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people. Our mission
is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they've helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they're here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees' current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status ** SENIOR TECHNICAL OFFICER POSITION SUMMARY
Reporting to the Provincial Director HousingHub, the Senior Technical Officer provides technical and functional leadership regarding BC Housing's Design and Construction Standards as they apply to HousingHub projects and development. This includes costing, materials, construction methods, and project/contracting processes for mixed market, multi-unit residential rentals and owner purchase developments. He/she/they ensures compliance of HousingHub projects and portfolios with Design and Construction Standards, and provides an overall review of projects and contracts to ensure compatibility with project/program goals, guidelines and administrative requirements. The position is also responsible for reviewing, maintaining and updating the Design Guidelines and Construction Standards for the HousingHub, ensuring consistency with established Development & Asset Strategies Design guidelines and Construction Standards; tracking and forecasting construction costs, maintaining the Costing database, managing third party construction cost reviews; and developing project procedures. CANDIDATE PROFILE The successful candidate will have the following: EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Applied technology diploma in architecture, engineering (civil), building technology or other relevant field.
- Training in the following: Project Management; Quantity Surveying Principles; Construction Industry Standards including regulatory requirements; Construction Contract Administration; recommended construction practices.
- Sound contract administration experience including significant experience with industry standard construction contracts.
- Extensive technologist work experience in multi-unit residential development and construction
- Considerable quantity surveyor or cost consulting experience
- Considerable related field experience, including inspecting new and existing buildings
- or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer.
- Considerable knowledge and understanding of construction and construction project management principles, and related legislation, by-laws, building codes, building design, and municipal approval and inspection processes affecting high rise and low rise residential development and construction.
- Considerable knowledge of LEED or sustainability construction practices and the methods and materials relating to the construction, development, remediation and renovation of multi-unit wood frame and non-combustible residential buildings.
- Considerable knowledge of various practices relating to construction management including construction cost analysis methods and standard forms of construction contracts
- Good knowledge of construction and market trends, and current knowledge of standard construction costs
- Ability to read and critique construction drawings and estimate construction costs for new construction
- Ability to provide technical leadership, direction and mentorship to staff in construction and construction management philosophies and practices
- Excellent judgement, planning, organizing and problem-solving skills
- Excellent creative and critical thinking skills and ability to exercise good judgement
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing, with a broad range of audiences
- Proficient in MS Office applications and in Construction software
- Valid BC Driver's License
- Willingness to travel on Commission business and work periodic evenings and weekends
Sales and Marketing