MDA is a world leading provider of earth observation satellite ground systems focused on the acquisition, processing, archiving, and discovery of huge volumes of space-based imagery. Working in multidisciplinary and multi-level teams in an ever changing world, we deliver leading-edge technical, operational, and commercial solutions to commercial and government customers around the globe. Our mission critical systems provide the Earth Observation infrastructure that drives operational success and enables our customers to effectively utilize their space-based imagery. Building on 40 years of success in satellite earth observation leadership, we are seeking staff to define and deliver the next generation of large, complex earth observation satellite ground systems. Come be a part of the team bringing imagery from the next generation of satellite constellations to the screens of the world.
We have exciting career opportunities for proven Systems Engineers who want to demonstrate leadership over the system engineering activities and assume significant ownership over establishing technical baselines and following these baselines through to successful delivery and operations.
You understand the systems engineering discipline and what it means to successfully apply this to large, complex systems. You will leverage your experience over the entire life cycle of our systems, understand the business objectives and constraints of our customers to translate them into concepts, specifications, designs and actual systems that will meet these objectives.
As a System Engineer for Ground Systems, you:
- Establish and demonstrate ownership in all phases of the full system or product life-cycle for large complex mission critical systems, leading key decisions pertaining to all aspects of system design.
- Have strong interpersonal and negotiating skills, understands dependencies and stakeholder needs, and enjoys working extensively with customers, partners, sub-contractors, and project team members, building effective and lasting relationships.
- Conduct working sessions required to complete the detailed elaboration of the technical solution. Complete the artifacts required to establish the technical baselines that support system construction. Demonstrated experience with:
- Refinement and validation of the concept of operations for the system.
- Translation of the high level solution into detailed, traceable, systems requirements.
- Elaboration of workflow models and use cases.
- Elaboration of maps and user stories (desirable).
- Elaboration and capture of the user experience design (desirable).
- Identification, definition and control of system interfaces.
- Identification of strategies related to change management and system adoption.
- Creative application of expertise in the engineering specialty disciplines of reliability, maintainability, availability, security.
- Completion of structured reviews against each technical baseline.
- Aligning technical scope with plans for system development and test.
- Collaboration with the customer regarding change control over each baseline.
- Develop our overall system engineering management approach by:
- Defining and structuring our interaction with the customer's representatives.
- Defining the structure and content of each of our engineering deliverables.
- Identifying risks followed by defining and executing mitigation strategies.
- Defining our approach to configuration management.
- Monitoring and addressing customer concerns and issues.
- Defining the required technical reviews for the engineering team.
- Selecting and managing sub-contractors and suppliers.
- Preparing and updating an engineering management plan.
- Support the system as it moves through development, testing, acceptance and into operations:
- Maintaining the integrity of the design and compliance with the requirements.
- Assisting the test program as it defines how the system is tested and accepted.
- Working with the project teams to solve problems and remove roadblocks.
- Communicating with the customer as the change management needs evolve.
- Assisting the customer in accepting the system and transitioning to operations.
- Support business development by creating innovative and cost-effective solutions that meet our customer's requirements and operational needs.
- A University degree in Engineering, Applied Science, Computer Science, or Science from an accredited institution.
- 10+ years of relevant systems engineering experience.
- Knowledge of Satellite Earth Observation Domain is a big plus, but not required – however a successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate a keen interest in learning and working in this domain.
- Demonstrated progressive analytical skills, innovative systems level solutioning capability, exceptional leadership, and technical execution strengths required for defining and delivering large, complex, mission critical systems.
The ability to obtain a security clearance is required for this position.
MDA provides customers around the world with essential information solutions used for decision making. Using the latest technology to change the world. Our employees enjoy challenging careers with opportunity for growth and learning.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.