MDA's Aviation business delivers large software centric systems that enable our customers to meet the challenges of global aviation operations. Working in multidisciplinary teams, we build systems to support our customer's business. We are seeking staff to define and deliver the next generation of air navigation software tools for the aviation industry.
We are looking for a proven Systems Engineer to join our team. This will be an exciting opportunity to work with our customers and projects teams, demonstrate leadership and assume significant ownership over establishing technical baselines and following these baselines through to successful delivery.
You will leverage your systems engineering experience over the entire life cycle of our systems. Understanding the business objectives and constraints of our customers is vital before these are translated into the concepts and specifications required by all teams to successfully meet these objectives. You understand the importance of productive relationships, actively seek information, confirm understanding and constructively resolve issues. You understand the systems engineering discipline and what it means to successfully apply this to large, complex software systems.Primary Activities
As a Systems Engineer, you will have the opportunity to establish ownership and demonstrate your abilities in all phases of the system life-cycle, including:
- Creating engineering solutions that are attractive to our customers and are cost-effective
- Conducting working sessions to understand our customers objectives, requirements and constraints
- Establishing concept of operations, system specifications, system interfaces
- Applying specialty engineering design disciplines to creatively address our customer's requirements
- Leading "proof of concept", feasibility or trade-off studies Selecting suppliers
- Conducting structured reviews of system engineering deliverables
- Concluding requirements elaboration and reviews with the establishment of technical baselines
- Working with our customer to control change over the technical baselines
- Creating or modifying systems engineering management plans
- Monitoring and resolving customer concerns as design, implementation, integration and test progress
- Supporting system test and acceptance
- Supporting our customer's change management process as the system moves into operations
- Supporting business development and creating commercial offers to our customers
Technical requirements - some combination of:
- A University degree in Engineering or Science from an accredited institution
- Bachelor's degree and 10 years' experience, Master's degree and 7 years' experience or PhD with 5 years' experience, or established combination of education and experience in systems engineering
- Experience in the Aviation domain is a big plus, but not required - a keen interest in learning about it is Proven ability to focus on the customer, understand their needs and deliver results
- The analytical skills and systems level thinking required for large, complex, safety critical systems
- Extensive knowledge of the full system or product life cycle and how the system engineering discipline is applied successfully to each phase
- The ability to identify and manage risks
- The ability to create and manage the different system engineering deliverables
- The ability to lead or participate in reviews of deliverables with the customer
- The ability to support integration and test of large systems with many suppliers
- The ability to work within a large organization and understand dependencies and stakeholder needs
- A team oriented approach to solving technical problems within budget and schedule constraints
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Effective presentation skills.
- Experience working with customer representative, prime contractors, subcontractors
- Experience with supporting business development and working with potential customers
- Experience or expertise in engineering design disciplines (reliability, maintainability, availability, security)
- Experience with large, software systems Grounded understanding of software engineering
- Experience with requirements management tools, such as DOORS or Requisite-Pro
- Knowledge of geospatial information and formats available in the market
- Knowledge of Aviation regulations, such as FAA 8260.58, AC 120-91 or ICAO PANS-OPS
- Knowledge of Aviation technical standards, such as AIXM or ARINC 424
- Knowledge of Aircraft navigation concepts and systems
- Knowledge of Air Traffic Management concepts and systems
The ability to obtain a security clearance is required for this position.
MDA provides customers around the world with essential information solutions used for decision making. Our employees enjoy challenging careers with opportunity for growth and learning.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.