As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Senior Statistician is responsible for conducting analytical activities that support business intelligence, policy and/or clinical research and evidence-based decision making for a designated program area of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). This position, reporting to the Manager, Provincial Lead, or Designate will undertake self-directed and collaborative analyses, interpretation and reporting of designated program related data for both internal and external stakeholders. This position supports the development and monitoring of performance indicators for planning, implementation and evaluation of designated programs in BC. In addition to the preparation of standard reports, this position prepares periodic summaries and detailed analyses of trends and developments using appropriate statistical modeling tools and tests. This is a highly skilled position that is responsible for providing expert advice to staff, program managers, PHSA senior management and external stakeholders, including but not limited to the Ministry of Health (MoH), care providers in the BC health authorities, Canadian Blood Services, and the Public Health Agency of Canada.What you'll do:
What you bring:
- Develop detailed technical project plans to support the program area's strategic planning, research and quality of care evaluations.
- Perform volume projections to assist in the development of budgeted volumes by year and by site, and monitor and report on the variance of actual volumes versus budgeted/projected volumes on a regular basis.
- Provide leadership to team members through the provision of technical expertise and the facilitation and demonstration of the principles of team work and collaboration.
- Provide technical expertise and advice on statistical analyses for a variety of documents including standard and ad-hoc reports, briefing notes, presentations, summaries and papers. As directed by the Manager, Provincial Lead, or Designate provide technical expertise to internal stakeholders by providing consultations on study design, data standards, statistical analyses, and appropriate presentation for reports and other publications.
- Coordinate internal and external data requests for planning and decision-making and/or research and policy by performing duties including: managing data requests, recommending appropriate statistical analyses, analyzing, interpreting and presenting complex statistical analyses so the results can be used by senior management in PHSA, MoH, and the other Health Authorities for informed decision making.
- Conduct analyses of linked health data to evaluate health outcomes of patients and the effectiveness and quality of treatments and interventions.
- Undertake self-directed analyses of data quality and data validity for the purpose of proposing improvements in data processing and data handling.
- Responsible for monitoring trends, reporting variations, identifying outliers and formulating suggestions for improvement, under the direction of the Manager, Provincial Lead or Designates.
- Provide technical expertise regarding data architecture and data standards for the development and maintenance of databases to facilitate accurate and efficient reporting, data quality and monitoring and/or research.
What's in it for you:
- A Master Degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, Data Science, Health Informatics, Operations Research, or a related program and a minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of recent related experience in data analytics or statistics, as required, and/or the health information field in a large, complex organization.
- Advanced knowledge of descriptive statistics, statistical inference and modeling using statistical software such as SPSS, R, and /or SAS.
- Demonstrated ability to develop complex and customized queries, particularly SQL queries, for relational databases, as required.
- Applied experience with business intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau, IBM Cognos, Microsoft Power BI), as required.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and system analysis skills including the ability to comprehend complex issues and related data/information.
- Demonstrated ability to develop complex and customized queries for relational databases, as required.
- Ability to function in a self-directed manner and handle multiple concurrent tasks.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral. Demonstrated interpersonal skills to support working with and supervising a variety of people, as required. Demonstrated skill as a leader, coach and change agent.
- Ability to prioritize workload to meet deadlines.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Regular Full-Time Location:
1333 W. Broadway Vancouver, BC
Open until position is filled
SrStat-2344227 Number of positions:
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). PHSA provides specialized health services to British Columbians, including cancer care, organ transplantation, pediatrics, emergency services, mental health and substance use services. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: https://jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.