EMCON SERVICES INC., a Road and Bridge Maintenance Contractor recognized as a leader in providing safe and reliable road maintenance with offices in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario, invites applications for the position of Sr. Staff Accountant, based in Merritt, British Columbia for its operations and diversified portfolio of corporate holdings and investments. This management position is responsible for maintaining financial, accounting, and administrative services in order to meet legislative requirements and support operations and decision making.
The Sr. Staff Accountant reports to the Vice President of Finance and is responsible for preparing financial statements, maintaining and enforcing the accounting policies and procedures, reconciling accounts, and monthly reporting requirements.
The successful candidate shall be a highly motivated and competent individual with proficient knowledge and experience with the following skills and qualifications:
- Minimum four (4) years accounting experience with industry experience in Road and Bridge Maintenance an asset.
- Thorough understanding of the accounting cycle and working knowledge of various tax return requirements.
- Experience with intercompany transactions, departmental and cost accounting
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks while meeting deadlines
- Strong learning agility and desire to grow with the company
- Accuracy and attention to detail is imperative
- Thorough understanding of budgeting
- Proficiency with computerized accounting programs including Microsoft Office software
- Preparation of financial statements in accordance with ASPE
- Preparation of internal financial information
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with ability to work in a team setting and meet the demands of stakeholders, management and employees
- An understanding of relevant legislation, policies and procedures
- Inventory management
Job duties and responsibilities include:
- Supervise and assist accounting staff
- Review accounts payable processes to ensure timely payment of invoices
- Review accounts receivable processes to ensure timely collection of revenue
- Daily banking transactions, reporting and reconciliation
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain and monitor the company inventory system
- Maintain the system of controls over the accounting transactions
- Analyze job costing on an ongoing basis and report to management
- Assist in the preparation of annual budgets
- Comply with all provincial and federal tax filing requirements
- Assist in the implementation, documentation and maintenance of internal controls
- Ensure strict confidentiality in performing all duties
This position provides an attractive salary and benefit package for the right individual.
Emcon Services has the following conditions of employment: satisfactory drug pre-screening and Driver’s Abstract. Qualified applicants are encouraged to forward their resume, covering letter and references to:
Emcon Services Inc.
Attn: HR Manager
#105 - 1121 McFarlane Way
Merritt, BC V1K 1B9
Emcon Services Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.