Financial Ledger & Accounting Systems Hub (FLASH), a division within Amazon's eCommerce Foundation (eCF) is leading significant innovations in business systems integration and defining the future of accounting. Our systems are advancing one of the world's most scalable, reliable, and secure e-commerce platforms that process hundreds of billions of dollars in transactions, in multiple currencies and countries. We are at the center of Amazon's key initiatives and fueling the growth of Amazon's businesses worldwide by continually raising the bar on the speed at which business teams can integrate with our platform. This position is located in the beautiful city of Vancouver.
As a Manager of Managers here, you will lead your teams of high performing engineers to build, scale, monitor, and optimize systems within FLASH. You will interface with several teams including Retail Systems, Marketplace Systems, Digital Systems, Web services, Financial systems, and operations. Our mission is to provide a world-class customer experience using scalable and robust software, so the challenges and opportunities span both the business and technical realms.
A successful candidate will be a manager of managers with an established background in developing high volume and highly available services, strong technical ability, excellent communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Key responsibilities include:
As a leader of leaders, lead an organization or teams that consists of SDMs, TPMs, and software development engineers.
Manage and develop the team, including hiring, retention, performance management, mentoring and capability/skill development.
Lead architecture, design, implementation, and operational support of tools and services.
Evaluate complex business and technical requirements, and communicate inherent risks and solutions to technical and non-technical business owners.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 10+ years of professional experience in software development/engineering
• 10+ years of engineering management experience
• 5+ years of experience managing development managers and tech leaders
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience recruiting, hiring, and managing a high performing team
• Experience in setting up org structure and strategic decision making
• Experience with Agile (SCRUM, RUP, XP), OO modeling, architecture design.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related fieldPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring Sr. software engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective product software engineers and tech leaders
• Experience influencing software engineers' best practices within your team
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Experience working backwards from the customer and delivering innovative, simple solutions
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
Software and Programming