As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city-and their careers-forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey. Employment Status
Exempt - Regular Full-Time. Scope
Did you know that the City of Surrey Road Safety Team was recently awarded the Canadian Institute of Transportation Engineers (Greater Vancouver section) Mavis Johnson Award for the s a fe Mobility Plan? Are you an experienced Engineer who is looking to join an organization that is a leader in road safety? The City of Surrey is leading the province with its Vision Zero Safe Mobility Plan where we strive to have zero people killed or seriously injured on our roads. The Plan was launched in February 2019 at BC's first ever Vision Zero Summit which was hosted by the City of Surrey.
If you are an experienced traffic safety engineer who is excited about shaping the transportation landscape in one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, this unique opportunity is for you. As our lead Road Safety Engineer, your senior position will play a key role in implementing our road safety vision. You will ensure that Surrey establishes road safety cultures, data collection systems, organizational structures, and partnerships to achieve its Vision Zero targets and objectives, all while working and collaborating alongside true industry leaders that were instrumental in developing the City's award winning Traffic Management Centre and Intelligent Transportation System.
Reporting to the Road Safety Manager, you as the Senior Road Safety Engineer, will help lead the development and implementation of data driven road safety improvements and programs in alignment with the priorities identified in the Vision Zero Surrey Safe Mobility Plan. Responsibilities
• You will use your expertise in road safety practices to lead the development and implementation of comprehensive approaches to road safety reviews and engineering countermeasures. Qualifications
• You are a strong advocate for Vision Zero and will work collaboratively to ensure best practices in road safety are incorporated into all transportation decisions.
• You are someone who strives to seek better ways of doing things and take pride in working with a leader in road safety. This will be key as you support the City's Vision Zero goals using innovative technology solutions. You will use your innovative and strategic mindset to help lead the preparation, development and review of the City's road safety practices and strategies.
• Using your strategic approach to problem solving you will support the Road Safety Manager in the fulfillment of the City's statutory duties and the enforcement of legislation relating to all road safety and rights of way matters.
• You know how to seek safety through roadway design and operational changes and can provide expert advice to other professionals.
• You possess great customer service and communication skills both written and orally. You will prepare reports, presentations, and responses to queries from Council, committee, and the public in a timely and helpful manner.
• You possess an impactful approach to leading others and take pride in helping mentor less experienced staff reach their full potential.
• You are a strong team player.
• You have an ability to perform detailed collision analysis, identify problems and develop solutions using established and innovative data analytics strategies. In addition, you will develop, monitor and report on key performance indicators and targets.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, or a combination of related technical education and experience. Conditions of Employment
• Registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng) with EGBC or out of province equivalent.
• Road Safety Professional Certification will be considered an asset.
• 5 years related progressively responsible transportation engineering experience with a minimum 2 years' experience in road safety.
• Demonstrated project management skills in a complex environment.
• Knowledge of transportation planning and funding related to implementing new projects and initiatives.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders both technical and non-technical.
• Strong oral and written communication skills, excellent skills in delivering presentations to internal and external audiences.
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications. Closing Date
This job will be posted until filled. Our Values Integrity - Service - Teamwork - Innovation - Community