Under the direction of the Manager, Payroll & Accounting, performs various Payroll related functions, in accordance with established procedures, timeframes and various collective agreements. Performs duties involved in the preparation of Payroll and other related documents such as records of employment and insurance forms utilizing a computerized on-line Payroll system as well as word processing and spreadsheet software at an intermediate level. Supervises from three to ten Payroll Clerks, coordinates work assignments, determines related training and orientation requirements and participates in the evaluation of employee performance.What you'll do:
What you bring:
- Supervise Payroll Clerks by performing duties such as scheduling and coordinating work activities, setting priorities, providing guidance and technical advice, facilitating resolutions to work problems and monitoring operations to ensure departmental standards are met and safety procedures are followed. Participate in employee performance evaluations for designated staff to promote quality of work performance.
- Provide training and/or orientation on payroll system features to payroll staff, timekeepers and managers by methods such as having managers identify staff needing training or orientation, providing information on the system features as well as the payroll information requirements and ensuring efficiencies are established.
- Participate in the planning, development and implementation of new or revised systems and procedures by providing knowledge-based information and input into the process and assisting with the assessment of payroll needs to system features due to legislative and collective agreement changes.
- Prepare adjustment entries for issues such as vacation leave liabilities or seniority lists in order to ensure related reports and system requirements are met by analyzing and reconciling accounts to the general ledger, ensuring that payroll documentation is on file and determining where to action the payroll adjustment.
- Verify that timekeeping data entry to the payroll system is accurate by reconciling to the output reports and following-up on discrepancies with the applicable timekeepers or department supervisors.
- Oversee all deductions such as Superannuation, Income Tax and Employment Insurance by receiving deduction reports, comparing totals to ensure they balance, performing adjustments when required and initiating cheque requisitions for applicable companies; maintain ongoing balances for year end reporting purposes.
- Generate T4 Slips and reconcile to Payroll register and Revenue Canada receipts by methods such as printing T4 reports from computerized system, checking information balances with remittances, checking edit listing for year end adjustments and adjusting to T4 slips, identifying any discrepancies and taking corrective action.
- Perform a variety of payroll duties such as batching and keying payroll, calculating manual cheques and retroactive payments. Calculate severance payments and sick leave payouts.
- Perform ongoing maintenance to the timekeeping system by updating tables such as calendars, earnings eligibility rules, earnings rules, and job classes using the collective agreements and payroll system as references for consistency.
- Maintain security and confidentiality of timesheets and payroll records by methods such as ensuring access codes are changed regularly and kept secured, ensuring security access to the system is restricted and ensuring keys, cabinets and offices are locked and computer terminals are signed-off.
- Ensure a safe and healthy workplace for staff through methods such as effective orientation, training, promotion and monitoring of safe work practices and enforcement of health and safety requirements. Report unsafe situations; investigate and take corrective action and/or notify appropriate personnel.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
What's in it for you:
- Grade 12, successful completion of recognized payroll courses and four years' recent related experience including one year in a supervisory capacity or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to communication effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to supervise.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related hardware and software.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Regular Full-TimeUnion affiliation:
Facilities SubsectorRate of pay:
1795 Willingdon Ave. Burnaby, BCNumber of positions available:
2 (two)Closing date:
Open until position is filledReference number:
107712E/107713EWhat we do:
PHSA plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services .
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.