Position: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
General Fusion is transforming how the world is energized by developing the first commercially-viable fusion power plant. Fusion will deliver clean, safe and on-demand power at industrial scale, providing a powerful complement to renewables and a pathway to a zero-emission grid.
Combining new technologies, proven industrial processes, and advances in fundamental fusion science, General Fusion aims to be the first in the world to develop commercial fusion power. Key performance requirements have been demonstrated at the system level, setting the stage for building a pre-commercial fusion power prototype.
As a member of the Compression Engineering team, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will work as a collaborative part of a diverse engineering team, in the development of General Fusion’s Fusion Demonstration Plant. The work will focus on mechanical design of components and systems both directly for and in support of the Fusion Demonstration Plant.
- Mechanical design for complex engineering challenges which require out-of-the-box thinking and novel concepts.
- Working with partners and suppliers in the design of key systems and components, often sourcing components that push the limits of fabrication and availability.
- Identifying key risk areas and designing, building and conducting experiments to de-risk such areas of the Fusion Demonstration Plant design.
- As required, building and testing prototypes, or complete mechanical systems, to experiment, test, de-bug, and de-risk designs.
- Working as part of a larger design team to develop the design for the Fusion Demonstration Plant prototype.
Relevant Skills and Experience:
- 15+ years’ experience in mechanical design.
- Extensive experience in the designing, building, and commissioning of custom mechanical systems.
- Strong analytical knowledge of engineering and physics fundamentals, including statics and dynamics, fluid mechanics and thermodynamics.
- Mechanical aptitude and a willingness to work hands-on with the components of the design, including prototyping, testing, analyzing, and iterating.
- Experience with integrated multi-disciplined designs and systems.
- Genuine passion for mechanical design, solving problems, building projects, and making things work.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and drive the success of individual projects from start to finish, including integrating with other systems and collaborating with other engineering teams.
- Comfortable working to aggressive deadlines.
- Flexibility to adapt to a rapidly changing work environment.
- Experience designing components for use in harsh and demanding environments, and for problems where there is little prior art or precedent to draw from.
- Experience in complex static and dynamic (impulse) stress analysis, using both analytical and FEA methods.
- Strong understanding of materials and fabrication methods, as well as knowledge of GD&T and the implications of tolerancing on parts and assemblies.
- Experience in the design of high pressure components and systems.
- Experience in the design of high vacuum components and systems.
- Experience with liquid metals.
- Excellent knowledge of 3D CAD modelling and PDM systems, Solidworks and Solidworks PDM preferred.
- Strong communication skills.
The work involved in this project requires a strong mechanical aptitude, flexibility, and a passion for solving complex problems. General Fusion seeks individuals who are self-motivated, have good communication skills and are comfortable with creative problem solving independently and within a group.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Physics (with mechanical specialization) is a minimum requirement.
What We Offer:
- Flexible hours
- Four weeks’ vacation
- Comprehensive benefits package
- RRSP Contribution
- Support for professional development
- Great company culture – social events, food trucks, bike rides, Sun Run, etc.
Job Ref RR-2021-05
Please apply using the following link:
We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
General Fusion is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment with equal regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.