WorkSafeBC's Law & Policy division is seeking a criminal lawyer with at least seven years' call (but are open to candidates with more years) for the position of Senior Manager, Compliance & Field Investigations.
This role has overall responsibility for leading the planning, development and operations of this section of the Law & policy division and providing leadership in developing field investigations strategies.
Consider joining a professional team of lawyers who value hard work but prioritize a healthy lifestyle with a strong focus on work-life balance.
The primary function of the department is to investigate serious violations of the Workers Compensation Act and fraudulent activities against the workers.
We are embracing the recent change in the way people live and work, including working at home most of the week. We are proud to work for an organization with a mandate to improve the health and safety of workplaces across the province. What you'll do
You will lead the operations of the Compliance and Field Investigations section in order to effectively plan and deliver services to internal clients and customers.
Your responsibilities will include:
Is this a good fit for you?
- providing legal advice to WorkSafeBC officers and management on criminal and regulatory law
- analyzing investigation materials to ensure all necessary facts and evidence have been gathered and ensuring all related documentation and evidence gathered by WorkSafeBC officers will meet legal requirements
- managing and mentoring a team of investigators and lawyers; and promoting a supportive and healthy work environment while developing and delivering training on criminal and regulatory investigation legal processes
- preparing legal documents such as case briefs, subpoenas, agreed statements of fact, consent orders, and settlement waivers, completing research and analysis of law, policy, and jurisprudence to ensure the Board's position on OHS enforcement matters is sound
- Lead assigned managers and staff to ensure high levels of service are achieved, meet organizational and Divisional priorities and objectives.
- Hire, orient, evaluate, performance manage staff as required. Assign work to managers and staff, set performance goals and provide feedback, coach and support and motivate managers and staff in exceeding expectations
- Maintain current knowledge in the fields of administrative law, quasi criminal law, Workers' Compensation Act and Regulations and Board polices and practices by reviewing relevant materials and journals
We're looking for someone who:
Your experience and educational background:
- Has knowledge and experience of criminal law
- Creates a supportive and healthy working environment within the department by providing support, ensures effective communication, promotes teamwork, and recognizes employees' contributions and achievements.
- Assists and supports staff through change and new initiatives as they are implemented in the workplace
- Constantly strives to grow and develop as a lawyer, and takes pride in producing a quality legal product
- Takes an outcome-oriented and problem-solving approach with clients and team members to resolve an issue
- Can interact with management, peers, and clients in a confident, professional and objective manner
- Makes sound decisions and has the ability to influence and inspire stakeholders at various levels.
Who are we?
- A member in good standing with the Law Society of British Columbia or the qualifications to become a member in good standing.
- At least seven years' experience in private practice in a combination of criminal law and or administrative law preferably with experience in court
- In-depth knowledge of Part 3 of the Workers' Compensation Act and related WorkSafeBC Prevention policies and practice.
- Strong and proven leadership, management and supervisory experience required.
At WorkSafeBC, we're dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across British Columbia. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries and diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers compensation system for today and future generations. We're honoured to serve the 2.4 million workers and 245,000 registered employers in our province.
WorkSafeBC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated
against COVID-19. In implementing the policy, WorkSafeBC will consider its obligations to accommodate those staff who are unable to be vaccinated.
We recognize that our ability to make a difference relies on building a team with a rich variety of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, abilities, and experiences, and which reflects the diversity of the people we serve. We are committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive work culture where everyone can contribute as their best, authentic self. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. What's it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It's challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for. Our benefits
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. We value hard work but also understand the need for a healthy lifestyle. For permanent roles, your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward your pension plan. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work - and life. Learn more about what we offer .
WorkSafeBC has adopted a hybrid model offering opportunities to work remotely and onsite based on the operational needs of the position.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada and located in BC.
You must submit your application by 4:30pm on the closing date of the competition.