Job Description Summary
A senior leader of Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) who is operationally minded to provide strategic direction and leadership for STEMCELL's corporate program. This role involves the continuing development of EHS programs and initiatives, the role out of corporate safety standards to global offices and effective integration of safety into management and quality systems.Job Description Duties and Responsibilities Key Accountabilities:
Qualifications Technical Qualifications:
- Responsible for the leadership oversight and strategic direction of the Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) functions, teams and activities.
- Lead and manage all aspects of the corporate EHS program. Ensure compliance with all EHS standards regulated by local laws in the global operating regions.
- Obtain Safety Program Recognition Certifications.
- Design, implement, and continuously improve company-wide EHS strategy, programs, processes and data tracking platform consistent with industry best practices and company culture. Ensure effective oversight, review, management and execution.
- Partner with the business and technical teams to implement regulatory compliance and risk management for the relevant EHS areas, including but not limited to: i) Occupational Safety and Health Compliance, per jurisdiction; ii) Industrial and Chemical Hygiene Program; iii) Biosafety Program; iv) Workplace ergonomics and injury minimization programs and policies; v) Process Safety and Risk Management; vi) Environmental compliance management, hazardous waste management and regulatory reporting; vii) disaster recovery.
- Develop EHS initiatives that reflect a thorough knowledge and understanding of laboratory, manufacturing and production operations. Contribute to the overall viability of these operational areas by developing and executing processes that support the recognition, measurement and control of actual and potential hazards.
- Define short and long term EHS objectives for the regional EHS teams and provide tactical plans to reach team goals. Develop and coach the EHS teams with the goal of increasing individual and team bench strength.
- Contribute to the budget process to ensure that EHS program strategies are implemented throughout the business.
- Drive EHS policy and program safety performance by identifying safety trends and data company-wide and by region; implement strategies to effectively prevent and/or resolve actual or perceived safety issues. Introduce new approaches to significantly improve safety performance methods / techniques.
- Provide regular reports and/or presentations to senior leadership on the corporate EHS program's successes and challenges with a focus on leading indicators.
Leadership / Personal Attributes:
- Bachelor degree in Environmental, Safety, Engineering or related field. Professional certification in Safety, Environmental and/or Industrial Hygiene is preferred.
- 12 to 15 years' experience in a senior management role within an EHS-related function for pharmaceutical / healthcare, life sciences or manufacturing environment; global experience is preferred.
- Experience with establishing a Quality Management System (QMS) for Safety.
- Experience managing people, projects, and programs; change management experience is preferred to to serve as a change agent.
- Demonstrated expertise and working knowledge of biological and chemical safety regulation in laboratory and manufacturing facilities.
- Proven ability to establish, implement and manage EHS programs.
- Ability to analyze, interpret and report on EHS performance, data, issues and trends.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret complex regulations to determine impact on company operations, directives and procedures and to develop action plans to optimize compliance.
- Comprehensive understanding of global regulatory requirements is an asset.
- Recognized leader able to drive change at a senior level in educating and influencing a highly talented management team and with all employees globally.
- A relationship builder effective at relationship management with senior leaders up to C-level through trust, credibility, technical knowledge and negotiation skills to reach consensus / buy-in.
- Strong analytical skills, capable of problem solving and troubleshooting operational issues.
- Highly flexible, good tolerance for ambiguity and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Strong intellectual curiosity, appetite for exploring new and previously un-chartered processes, protocols, structures and programs to evolve the organization.
- Business acumen and strategic thinking, yet able to execute tactically.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills to effectively interact, exercise discretion, judgment, tact and diplomacy when dealing with internal and external stakeholders, as well as executive management, including ability to demonstrate tact and diplomacy with multiple stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to take initiative, be accountable for individual and team results, and motivate self and others to set and achieve very high performance standards. Has relentlessly high standards, confident and results-oriented.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number. Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!