Highland Valley Copper
Reporting to the Chief Engineer, Tailings, the Senior Engineer, Tailings supports the safe and responsible stewardship of tailings and water storage facilities at the Highland Valley Copper mine site. This key role will liaise closely with the Engineer of Record, design team and a variety of internal and external stakeholders to drive project execution across geotechnical engineering, dam safety and tailings governance scopes. There are 34 dams at Highland Valley Copper, including one of the largest cyclone sand dams in North America, making this position exciting and of critical importance for Teck!
To be successful, we are looking for a self-motivated individual with strong interpersonal and communication skills, who can influence others and build positive relationships across a variety of project stakeholders. The ability to work well in a team environment, manage consultants, and oversee project schedules and budgets is integral to the role.
Join us in the Highland Valley and enjoy a variety of recreational opportunities such as hiking, mountain biking, skiing, fishing, and golf! The mine site is a 50-minute drive from Kamloops, B.C which provides all of the comforts of city living. The mine site is also close to Merritt, Ashcroft, and Logan Lake, which all exude a small-town community atmosphere. Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures.
- Collaborate with the Responsible Tailings Facility Engineer (RTFE) and Engineer of Record (EOR) to ensure all work complies with regulatory requirements, HSEC Standards, and relevant guidelines including GISTM.
- Ensure short- and long-term projects related to the dam safety and tailings management meet the operation's needs and are completed according to approved plans, specifications and development codes/permits.
- Provide engineering expertise for the operation and construction of the tailings and water storage facilities and conduct studies related to new or future developments or opportunities relevant to Highland Valley Copper
- Plan, coordinate, and execute public engagement and disclosure related to tailings in collaboration with the community relations department.
- Effectively communicate with operations, technical groups and contractors; and liaise with outside agencies and communities of interest to meet the operations overall objectives.
- Manage departmental and project costs by participating in annual budget preparation, monitoring and analyzing monthly costs, forecasting cost and explaining variances.
- Other responsibilities as required or as assigned.
- B.A.Sc. Engineering or equivalent with Civil, Geological or Geotechnical specializations.
- A minimum of seven (7) years' experience in dam construction, tailings storage facility and tailings management, geotechnical engineering, mining or a closely related field
- Must be registered or eligible for registration with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of B.C. ("EGBC"). Teck will support eligible employees with their EGBC registration.
- Experience in and knowledge of the Global Industry Standard on Tailings Management requirements, Mining Association of Canada's tailings protocols and Canadian Dam Association guidelines is strongly preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office suite and AutoCAD Civil 3D Software is required.
- Excellent technical writing, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to compile and analyze technical data.
- Capable of working with all levels of the organization and in a team environment
$114,665 - $141,645
The actual base salary offered is determined based on the successful candidate's relevant experience, skills, and competencies and considers internal equity.About Teck
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.Job Segment:
Coal Mining, Facilities, Geotechnical Engineering, Construction, Mining, Operations, Engineering
Apply now »
Construction, Mining and Trades