Closing Date: June 19, 2023
We are looking for an engaging, personable, and conscientious individual to be a touch point for our relationships with local Indigenous communities! Teck respects the rights, cultures, interests, and aspirations of Indigenous Peoples and is committed to building strong and lasting relationships that help us understand each other's perspectives and priorities.
Reporting to the Lead, Indigenous Relations, the Senior Coordinator, Indigenous Relations, is responsible for managing and building internal and external relationships, dedicated to respectful, inclusive and sustainable community development.
To be successful in this role outstanding communication, interpersonal, and relationship building skills will be vital, this includes active listening, public speaking, and engaging in dialogue. We are looking for someone with a strong focus on integrity, respect, and problem solving, with a proven ability to identify and manage social risks. You are self-motivated, accountable, organized, with demonstrated facilitation and program design skills.
In this position you will have the opportunity to own your role. With the support of our team, you will be accountable for the delivery and management of your work. We can offer a role that you can feel good about, that you will gain satisfaction in delivering on our commitments to local communities.
Join us in the Highland Valley and enjoy a variety of recreational opportunities, such as hiking, skiing, fishing, and golf! The mine site is a 50-minute drive from Kamloops, B.C. which provides all of the comforts of city living. We are also close to Merritt, Ashcroft, and Logan Lake, which all exude a small town community atmosphere.Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures.
- Maintain Highland Valley Copper's overall relationship with local Indigenous communities, in keeping with our core values of safety, sustainability, integrity, respect, excellence, and courage.
- Understand commitments to Indigenous governments and organizations and implement agreements in alignment with community expectations and interests.
- Collaborate with Indigenous governments and organizations, consultants, and technical team members in delivering studies and reports.
- Design, coordinate, and lead the execution of community engagement events, tours, and functions.
- Assist in developing and monitoring data on social performance and risk management, such as risk registers, engagement strategies, and management plans.
- Contribute to the implementation of community investment programs, consistent with Teck's Corporate policy, site realities, and community priorities.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to other team members; This role may include the direct supervision of others.
- Minimum five years demonstrated ability working in community engagement, with an emphasis on working with Indigenous peoples and a focus on community engagement, or community development.
- Knowledge and understanding of the culture and history of Interior BC First Nations.
- Familiarity and demonstrated experience with engagement best practices, UNDRIP, FPIC, DRIPA, and other related changes in related policy and/or regulatory advancements.
- Bachelor's Degree, ideally in business administration, social sciences, sustainable community development, or similar fields, OR an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Experience and comfortable facilitating meetings and engagement activities and the ability to communicate clearly in public settings.
- Experience with environmental assessments with a preference for experience with the BC Environmental Assessment process or Indigenous-led processes, would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills including time management, task prioritization and timely communication.
- Ability to travel to site and surrounding small communities.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.Job Segment:
Sustainability, Coal Mining, Law, Risk Management, Energy, Mining, Legal, Finance