Senior Specialist, Government Relations (FT, Perm)
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Job Function: Communications and Social Responsibility Overview:
BCLC's two offices are located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Indian Band), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples in Vancouver and the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc territory, situated within the Secwépemc Nation in Kamloops. We honour and respect the people, the territory, and the land we are part of.
Joining the Social Purpose & Player Experience division at BCLC means you'll be working with a dedicated group of talented professionals in Communications, Community & Stakeholder Engagement, Public Affairs, Player Health, Customer Support Operations, Business Intelligence, Marketing, CRM and Loyalty and Player Experience. As a Crown Corporation that earns more than a billion dollars in annual profit, BCLC's commitment to giving funds back to the province is an integral part of our business, but still only one piece of a bigger picture. BCLC is committed to creating a welcoming workplace where everyone feels safe, included, and valued. For us, that means building a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We all are winners when differences are respected, valued and celebrated.
At BCLC, we exist to generate win-wins for the greater good. We believe everything we do must benefit the well-being of all involved. Through our Social Purpose, we aspire to make sure, in all of our endeavours, transactions and relationships - in the most important sense of life, livelihood, meaning, and well-being - nobody loses, and every person we touch comes out ahead.
Social Purpose is the driving force of our business, our opportunity to create a better world through innovation, engagement, and connection. BCLC aims to provide something unique that not only fills a need, but provides value to the province. Join the team responsible for telling our story, building stakeholder relationships, connecting with communities, and achieving our strategic vision for player-centred sustainable growth. Job Summary:
The Senior Specialist, Government Relations is a unique role to help build and maintain relationships with government stakeholders. The Senior Specialist builds understanding of BCLC by providing strategic advice and support in the areas of government relations and issues management. The role is responsible for the development and implementation of strategic government-relations plans. This role deals directly with key internal and external stakeholders, including BCLC executives, elected officials and civil servants. The role requires strong strategic orientation, the capacity for sound judgment to navigate challenging situations and attention to detail to ensure consistent, accurate messaging through all channels. Accountabilities:
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Supports government-relations activities by enhancing positive relationships with elected officials and civil servants to strengthen understanding of BCLC and the gaming industry, and associated opportunities/strategic plans/issues.
- Proactively develops and delivers government relations, external communications and issues management strategies and recommends appropriate solutions.
- Coordinates and implements responses to government requests and drafts briefing materials, information notes, government and corporate reports, position papers, Estimates notes, correspondence and strategic communications plans.
- Monitors media, legislative, policy and regulatory activity that may affect BCLC and the gaming industry.
- Provides issues management support by collaborating with internal stakeholders to analyze the issue and develop a communications and/or government-relations strategy to manage a positive outcome for BCLC.
- Proactively builds, develops and maintains relationships with key internal stakeholders from across the organization and with external stakeholders, including government contacts.
- Effectively utilizes all existing communication tools and tactics and provides innovative approaches to ensure that messages are communicated effectively to external audiences.
- Supports the team in broader external communications activities, including public relations and media relations, to build understanding of BCLC and the gaming industry, support corporate initiatives and objectives and ensure consistent approaches and messaging.
Education and Experience
- Degree or diploma in political science, public affairs, communications, journalism and or public relations;
- 4 to 6 years current, related experience in a strategic government-relations or communications position;
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of strategic and proactive government-relations initiatives;
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Strong understanding of provincial government legislative, regulatory and policy processes;
- Ability to develop messages that effectively tell the organization's story to a variety of audiences;
- Demonstrated understanding and implementation of government relations and issues management best practices and approaches;
- Understanding of government relations and stakeholder relations as it pertains to the B.C. gaming industry;
- Existing contacts within provincial government;
- Proven ability to provide direction based upon comprehensive knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of strategic communications, government relations and issues management;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate and negotiate with people at all levels;
- Exceptional written communication skills, editing skills and capacity to tailor information for various audiences;
- Outstanding critical-thinking skills and demonstrated problem solving capabilities;
- Adaptability and flexibility, including ability to manage competing deadline pressures, ambiguity and change;
- Understanding of media-relations best practices and approaches is an asset;
- Strong computer skills - MS Office suite.
- Effective November 22, 2021, BCLC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with BCLC unless a legal exemption is obtained.
- To build a rich diverse workforce representing the communities which we serve, we welcome applications from people of all colours and cultures, persons with diverse abilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.
- BCLC values work life balance and offers remote work options for its employees.
- Relocation assistance is available for successful job candidates.
- If you are in need of accommodation or special assistance at any step of your application, please send an email with your request to email@example.com.
- For over more than a decade, we have been recognized as one of BC's Top Employers - and we are constantly seeking ways to improve our employee and player experience. To learn more about BCLC, please visit: https://corporate.bclc.com/
This opportunity will remain open until a qualified candidate pool has been established.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada and be 19 years of age to work at BCLC.
Government Sales and Marketing