Position Summary Senior Communications Specialist, Community & Tenant Affairs Stakeholder Engagement/Community & Indigenous Relations/Issues Management Job ID: 3990 REGULAR FULL-TIME Location: BURNABY, BC To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada. The Senior Communications Specialist, Community & Tenant Affairs is part of a dynamic team focused on engaging communities as we work collaboratively with municipalities, our non-profit partners and community organizations to foster supportive and affordable housing solutions for those in need across British Columbia.
- Join one of BC's Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable, and quality housing.
The Corporate Communications Branch at BC Housing manages a broad range of internal and external communication activities
including media relations, public events, issues management, information campaigns, digital engagement (including social media), public engagement, and tenant communications. This professional communications team of 30 plays an integral role in ensuring that all members of the community are included and can participate in initiatives that affect them.
The successful candidate will focus on planning, developing, and implementing strategies that reach out to and communicate directly
with individuals and groups in the Northern Region, whose interests are being served. A key aspect of the role will be building strong relationships with First Nations and Indigenous groups.
The focus of this role is to engage the public and stakeholders through community engagement plans, public events, and communications, to develop relationships and the basis for identifying common ground and working collaboratively with internal and external partners to support upcoming new development initiatives.
This role includes issues management, strategy development, project management, community outreach, and public relations.
This is a senior role in the Community & Tenant Affairs team and is responsible for developing and implementing communication and engagement strategies to support a wide range of initiatives, including bringing new affordable and supportive housing opportunities
to communities as well as supporting redevelopment and renovation initiatives. CANDIDATE PROFILE:
The successful candidate requires the following: REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree or advanced diploma in communications, public engagement, or other relevant discipline.
- Education and experience in building relationships with First Nations & Indigenous communities
- 4+ years of progressive experience in communications in the field of:
- community relations,
- public engagement,
- strategic communications planning,
- issues management,
- stakeholder engagement, and
- event planning and execution
- Communications-related work experience in a public sector environment an asset
Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience acceptable to the employer KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Issues Management/Community & Indigenous Relations/Stakeholder Engagement
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the philosophy, theories, and principles of communications, specifically in the public sector environment
- Strong knowledge and understanding of public engagement best practices
- Ability to work closely with internal and external partners and stakeholders in planning and implementing community engagement strategies, provide strategic communications advice, and facilitate problem solving in achieving results
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information in an appropriate manner while displaying a high degree of judgement, discretion, and decision-making ability
- Ability to plan, coordinate and oversee the execution of a variety of public events and announcements
- Ability to analyze, problem-solve, mediate, and mitigate difficult situations
Workstyle & Work Skills
- Ability to develop compelling collateral materials using a combination of visuals and strong writing
- Ability to write, prepare and post content to websites for both internal and external audiences
- Ability to work effectively with social media platforms
- Strong verbal, writing, editing, and presentation skills
Why Join the BC Housing Team?
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and time-management skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team player and provide team leadership on various projects
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and pressures, with scrupulous attention to details
- Ability to travel on Commission business and work evenings and weekends as required
- Proficient in the use of MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they've helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they're here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees' current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **