Senior Business Analyst, Informatics/Business Intelligence, DARE
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Senior Business Analyst is an integral part of the team responsible for providing leadership and analytical support for monitoring and reporting on operational planning and performance across PHSA. Additionally the role provides application support for adjunct applications and business intelligence tools. This role is responsible for providing leadership in business process reengineering concepts and methods and leads the analysis and documentation of business requirements on DARE projects as well as ongoing enhancements to the national health care data system.
The Senior Business Analyst will lead the planning, analysis, design, and documentation of business requirements for data standardization, ad-hoc queries, reports, and interfaces. The position will have a deep understanding of Health Authorities' workflows and programs and will support operational and clinical program leaders in the development of reports related to business/operational planning, data interpretation, and data integrity and quality of the available data. In addition, this role will require broad systems understanding of PHSA priorities around reporting requirements to facilitate and support planning.What you'll do
What you bring
- Leads program services planning and performance monitoring through the development of reports, direct data extraction and analysis. Provides specialized knowledge, analytical, and technical expertise in information management processes utilizing a deep understanding of data standards in relation to establishing quality reports.
- Leads the formal data collection and analysis to help identify system deficiencies and/or operational inefficiencies in order to report and develop new ways of improving business efficiencies including the data analysis related to business case developments, project proposals, and other key strategic and transformative initiatives.
- Ensures the quality, accuracy, reliability, and timeliness of the data and reports available through meticulous testing, automated and manual data reviews, performance monitoring, contingency planning, consistency reviews, and other methods as appropriate.
- Leads in the analysis, acceptance criteria definition, development, testing, training, implementation and maintenance phases of assigned projects. Carries out post-implementation reviews and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Provides strategic planning support and change management services by leading and performing feasibility studies, workload efficiency analyses, using formal data gathering techniques and analyzing, designing and implementing appropriate information systems. This includes identifying system deficiencies, user department operational inefficiencies and ways of improving business efficiency functions.
- Leads the analysis, design, and documentation of reports, and interfaces to support clinical operations, and management and evaluation reporting. Collaborates with other project team members as needed. This includes gathering requirements from stakeholders; negotiating changes in the context of the vision of the current and future state, defining appropriate change management strategies and monitoring and supporting best practice in documentation standards.
- Leads the analysis, requirements specifications, and documentation of various business intelligence solutions, collaborating with PHSA leaders and other project team members as needed. This includes gathering requirements from stakeholders; negotiating changes in the context of the vision of the reporting solutions; translating user requirements to technical requirements for implementation; designing reports; researching solutions; and implementing change management procedures. May occasionally take direction from a Project Manager on large projects.
- Supports the end-users through training sessions, user guides, one-on-one consultations, advice, workshops, troubleshooting, downtime procedures, and issue resolution. Evaluates the BI tools and their use through customer satisfaction surveys, performance measurement, auditing, usage logs, and other methods, and reports the findings to management and other stakeholders as required.
- Supports PHSA executives and senior program leaders with operational reporting requirements through the analysis of data with a deep understanding of performance metrics and benchmarking.
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Master's degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Health Information Management, Business Administration or related discipline and five (5) years of experience in health information management, health services planning, or data analytics and use of reporting tools.
Skills & Knowledge
What we bring
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have: Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
- This role requires a superior degree of critical-thinking and analytical skills with the ability to integrate broad system thinking/perspective with data to develop quality reports, operational support plans and monitor on-going performances. This role also requires superior written skills with a high degree of producing concise, structured and very well written documents and reports. Understanding of the Systems Development Life Cycle and project management methodology. Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to express complex ideas in simple terminology appropriate for the audience. Demonstrated ability to use Analytics tools, spreadsheets, word-processing, presentation tools and other software at an advanced level. Physical ability to perform the duties of the job. Knowledge and adherence to privacy and confidentiality policies and measures to protect data. Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, while working independently to organize workload, set priorities, and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment. Ability to use query- and report-writing tools is an asset.
$80,935 - $116,344/year. The starting salary for this position would be determined with consideration of the successful candidate's relevant education and experience, and would be in alignment with the provincial compensation reference plan. Salary will be prorated accordingly for part time roles.
1333 W Broadway, Vancouver, BC V6H 1G9
Open Until Filled
Hours of Work:
0800-1600; 0830-1630; 0900-1700 (Monday to Friday)
136576EAs per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments' unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey-one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.