Reporting to the Director, Enterprise Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) and Finance Business Partner (Energy), the Senior Analyst, Enterprise FP&A is a crucial team member of the Enterprise FP&A team. This team exists to optimize financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, analysis and capital prioritization at the enterprise level and partner specifically with the Energy BU to deliver value for Teck.
This role will lead aspects of Enterprise FP&A delivery and work with peers in the team to deliver collectively on Finance and Corporate objectives. All team members will be cross-trained in all areas of accountability and will be encouraged to support results interchangeably. The team will work in a highly agile manner focused on exceeding customer satisfaction in an iterative and collaborative way. The team will operate as a pool of resources with work and capacity handled nimbly.
Key working relationships within Finance include Treasury, Tax, Accounting, Assurance & Advisory and Business Unit (BU) Finance Business Partner teams. Outside of Finance key collaborators include Corporate Development, Exploration, Investor Relations, Group Risk and Functional planning teams.
Teck is consistently recognized as a top employer for our commitment to a healthy and positive work environment. Our team is focused on fostering a workplace where everyone is included, valued and equipped for the future. In 2021, Teck was proud to be selected as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for four years in a row, and also named as one of Canada's Top Employers for Young People.
In 2020, Teck was named to Forbes World's Best Employers List and in 2021, we were recognized in Forbes Canada's Best Employers 2021 List. Teck was also named to the Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index in 2021 for the fourth straight year. Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Support Senior Management Team in setting strategic objectives through the provision of forward-looking financial analysis and insights
- Drive the annual Capital Allocation process including inputs gathering and scenario modeling against total shareholder return in partnership with Treasury
- Drive the annual Capital Prioritization process including maintaining standards, consolidation of inputs, running the mechanical prioritization and preparing insights to aid in management decision making
- Drive the annual 5 Year Plan, Appraisal and 2 Year Budget processes including maintaining enterprise standards and templates, consolidation of inputs and preparing senior management insights and analysis
- Prepare and consolidate inputs and insights for senior management performance reporting including variance analysis and value drivers
- Lead the forecasting process including variance analysis and value drivers
- Own financial controls related to key inputs for the annual planning and forecasting processes like commodity pricing protocols, financial risking factors and corporate allocation analysis
- Enhance Finance reviews and endorsements of Appropriation Requests, major capital project toll gate reviews and maintain standards for value reporting
- Ensure quality of post-investment reviews including maintaining standards and approach
- Prepare insights and analysis of G&A forecasts and budgets including cost allocations to the operations
- Extract value from the the corporate financial model as input to financial and tax planning and support senior management in ad hoc scenario evaluation
- Delivery analysis to management regarding expected financial performance and sensitivity to changes in key profit drivers
- Develop strategic presentation and information packages to assist senior management in decision making
- Continuously develop a comprehensive understanding of Teck's operations and key development projects, as well as commodities and metals mining industry more generally
- Contribute to group wide Finance Transformation by deliver of initiatives through a continuous improvement mindset to all FP&A processes, system, reports and products
- A degree in Business, Economics, or a related discipline
- A professional designation related to finance (e.g. Chartered Financial Analyst, Chartered Professional Accountant, Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst, Master of Business Administration or Master of Science in Mineral Economics)
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience or in a role with transferrable skillsets, previous experience in the Energy and Natural Resources sector, investment banking or management consulting will be considered an asset
- Advanced ability to develop and interpret financial models with a strong understanding of business drivers and relevant outputs required to promote decision making
- Expert at gathering and synthesizing inputs, framing opportunities and leading decision making conversations from a fact-based position
- Develops analytical methods and advanced concepts in finance with the ability to apply economic, accounting, financial and investment principles to the solution of corporate business problems
- Prioritizes relationship-building skills and adept at working with personnel at all levels of seniority from other functional areas across the Company and external organizations
- A self-starter who can prioritize amongst multiple projects at once and work with limited guidance
- A student of the industry - possess or develop the background and expertise to contribute to commodity and industry specific analysis both regionally and globally, and use that understanding to pressure-test and add context to analyses
- A high degree of critical thinking and analytical skills
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills as well as strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to work in highly ambiguous environment with agility
- Able to develop hypotheses that are grounded in facts and logical assumptions that can be validated and update throughout analysis
- Shows intellectual curiosity through asking well formulated questions and by taking personal risk to raise points of creative tension
- Delivers with a "fit-for-purpose" mindset focusing on the key levers or inputs that have a material impact on outcomes and results.
Successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against infection by COVID-19. Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a personal characteristic protected under applicable human rights legislation may request to be exempt from this requirement. We will do our best to accommodate those who are unable to be vaccinated.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2020, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eleventh straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources
#LI-JN1 Job Segment:
Financial, Accounting, Consulting, Social Media, Financial Analyst, Finance, Marketing, Technology
Banking, Finance and Insurance