Secretary, Systemic TherapyBC Cancer Agency, VancouverMonday - Friday$26.65 per hour
Are you efficient and organized, with a keen eye for detail? Help our department run effectively so we can provide the support our staff need to deliver the best possible patient care.What you'll do
What you bring
- Screen and prioritize patient requirements for members of the medical team staff by determining urgency of incoming calls regarding patient treatment and taking appropriate action.
- Coordinate and book appointments and tests for patients as requested by the medical team by accessing the patient information system to enter and retrieve data.
- Relay patient information to and from doctors' offices and outside hospitals by contacting other departments or outside sources to obtain medical reports for patient visits.
- Type correspondence, reports and other documents from dictation or hand-written notes using a variety of software such as word processing, spreadsheet and database on a personal computer; drafts routine correspondence for signature.
- Schedule meetings and appointments, book facilities, and arrange audio-visual equipment. Record, type, and distribute minutes of meetings. Take follow-up action when indicated in the minutes.
- Gather data for use in documents by requesting and collating information for items such as grant applications, curriculum vitae, other departmental reports, abstracts and manuscripts. Obtain, photocopie, and circulate schedules, lists, reports and other documents as required.
- Open, sort and forward incoming mail.
- Make travel arrangements for departmental staff and visitors as required.
- Prepare requisitions for office and other supplies for approval by Process Leader. Receive and monitor incoming stock against requisitions using computerized database and contact other departments as necessary to resolve related problems.
- Perform record-keeping functions such as entry, retrieval and distribution of data from department scheduling systems for items such as clinic duty roster and monthly leave schedule.
- Maintain secretarial procedure manuals by typing and inserting new or revised procedures.
- Assist in maintaining the departmental time books by relaying information to appropriate personnel as obtained from Physician's absence forms to ensure leaves are recorded in accordance with Agency guidelines and authorized by the Provincial Practice Leader, Medical Oncology or Process Leader.
- Maintain departmental filing systems by organizing and filing materials.
- Receive visitors to the work area as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
What's in it for you
- Grade 12, graduation from a recognized secretarial program, including a recognized course in medical transcription and three years' recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to keyboard at 60 w.p.m.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.Job type
$26.65 per hour
Hours of work
0800-1600/ 0830-1630/ 0900-1700 (Monday - Friday)
109207What we do
BC Cancer bccancer.bc.ca provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia. BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
( PHSA ) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.