Job Description Summary
The Scientist is responsible in providing expertise in the areas of scientific and technical leadership for the development of the assigned product line(s) in the Research and Development (R&D) department. This role advances STEMCELL's long-term success in current and emerging markets through product and technological innovation. With an established reputation within the scientific community, the Scientist serves as a scientific ambassador of the company to drive and leverage collaborations with external researchers and partners, and internally by sharing their expertise and interfacing closely with other departments.Job Description Duties and Responsibilities
- Fully responsible for the assigned product line(s) focused on Pluripotent Stem Cell Metabolism, Development and Maintenance: set performance criteria, quality of experimental design, project planning, product optimization, and launch.
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex scientific and technical investigations.
- Responsible for supporting corporate goals through innovative product development and by identifying emerging markets.
- In collaboration with the Strategic Marketing group, review marketing analyses, cutting edge technologies, product lifecycle management and future trends to identify customer needs.
- Present New Product Proposals.
- Evaluate new technologies with the Business Development Team.
- Generate intellectual property and assist in writing patent applications. Perform literature and patent searches to identify new technologies and scientific trends.
- Identify and execute product and process improvement projects.
- Generate technical documentation and provide pre- and post-product launch support.
- Keep abreast of competitor activities, regularly present competitor analysis reports, and recommend new product development ideas to counter potential competitor threats.
- Source and manage the required internal and external collaborations to execute projects and initiatives.
- Contribute to sourcing grant funding opportunities and drafting grant applications.
- Serve as a scientific ambassador of the company: i) deliver superior quality presentations to internal and external audiences; ii) promote the STEMCELL brand and mission; and, iii) publish abstracts, posters and articles.
- In collaboration with the Education Team, provide input for training material and participate in the product training sessions as needed.
- Adhere to the Quality Management System (QMS) initiatives and requirements.
- Lead, manage, coach and mentor a team of 1 or more laboratory staff.
- PhD with 3 or more years of relevant experience in human stem cell biology .
- Knowledge and expertise in metabolic pathways in stem cells.
- Human pluripotent stem cell biology is an asset.
- An independent researcher with product, methodology, and/or technology development experience.
- Proven record of complex experimental design and execution, including expertise in applying appropriate statistical analyses in complex data sets.
- Broad technical expertise and knowledge of diverse laboratory techniques. Proven experience training personnel on laboratory techniques and protocols.
- Expert presenter to deliver technical summaries of data with critical thinking skills to provide in-depth analyses and interpretations.
- Extensive knowledge and practical experience of STEMCELL products are assets.
- Proven history of innovation and scientific discovery.
- Established scientific reputation in the relevant field of research.
- Managed successful collaborations with key opinion leaders.
- Demonstrated proficiency drafting business plans, patent applications and related articles in the field of expertise is an asset.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) both in one-on-one and in group settings.
- Detail-oriented and proficient at time management.
- Team orientated - 'one-team' behavior with demonstrated team leadership capabilities is a must.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as "Scientists Helping Scientists" - standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number. Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!