The primary purpose of this role is to execute the tasks necessary to drive sales, including freight flow, merchandise standards, inventory and replenishment procedures in all areas of the store. To provide sales support on the sales floor. Demonstrates a high degree of customer engagement and maximizes sales while effectively assisting customers. Provides guidance and training to associates as required on company initiatives, sales programs and product knowledge. This associate can assume authorized keyholder responsibilities (open and closing the store) as needed and can perform Manager on Duty shifts. Primary Responsibilities: MERCHANDISING AND REPLENISHMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
• Maintains company merchandising standards, including current pricing, signage, plan-o-grams, promotional planners, ad set-ups and displays. • Facilitates and/or participates in all cycle count processes as specifically outlined by company policies and procedures. • Accountable for the input and integrity of appropriate paperwork. Responsible to forward for approval to appropriate manager and/or home office. • Maintains and sustains an efficient filing system for all relevant paperwork as per company standards. • Prepares the daily printing of signage and price changes for all merchandise when required. • Assists in keeping the damaged products area clean and that items in need of shrink-wrapping are attended to in a timely basis. • Partners with management to prepare for inventory count(s), participates in the inventory taking process, and follows up on variances. • Responsible for the execution of the return to the vendor (RTV) process in the absence of the Receiver. • Where applicable, coordinates the recycling programs including toner, ink, batteries and electronics. • Provides guidance and training to associates as needed. GENERAL OPERATIONS
• Ensures exceptional customer satisfaction and displays professionalism when assisting customers and associates in different areas of the store. • Takes opportunities to add-on sales to customers by using current selling techniques and company programs and coaches others to do so as well. • Provides coverage and assistance in all areas of the store where business needs require and as associate training supports. • Responsible for opening and closing the store as required. • Participates in the Manager on Duty program. • Ensures associates check and understand all sources of communication for information (white boards, bulletin boards, portal, etc). • Accountable to understand general company policies and provide guidance to staff as needed. • Has a complete understanding of all company policies and procedures related to this position, as outlined in the training checklist. • Identifies and communicates suggestions for improvements in all areas of business. • Ensures the general cleanliness of workstations, lunchroom and washrooms according to company standards is maintained. • Promotes and maintains a safe working environment and follows all company protocols for safety and is required to report any unsafe working conditions to a manager. LOSS PREVENTION / PRIVACY
• Follows proper store opening and closing procedures, including alarm checks and security walks. • Properly secures all assets and physical inventory and follows all loss prevention and key control procedures. • Responsible for the security (opening and monitoring of activity) of the receiving area and all lock ups within the store when requested by a manager. • Ensures understanding of and adherence to all privacy policies and procedures. • Assists in enforcing inventory related procedures to ensure SKU integrity and prevent shrink. • As per policy, required to have personal parcels (bags, totes, backpacks, purses, etc.) checked by a manager prior to leaving the store premises. This position may be required to verify bag checks when in the role of Manager on Duty. • Merchandising and Replenishment 80% • General Operations 15% • Loss Prevention/Privacy 5% Basic:
• Ability to make decisions with integrity that supports company guidelines and makes good business sense. • Ability to resolve customer concerns in a diplomatic manner. • Demonstrates leadership ability. • Ability to engage customers in a friendly and professional manner. • Capacity to communicate with customers effectively using a variety of mediums. • Ability to plan, organize and prioritize efficiently to effectively handle their daily responsibilities and serve our customers. • Ability to work effectively with ongoing distractions is necessary. • Can engage appropriately and work as part of a team. • Capacity to work independently and seek out assistance as required. Preferred: Experience:
• One year of previously related experience is preferred. Education:
• Working towards or successful completion of high school is preferred. Additional Information:
• Conditions of the work environment are such that minor stress or physical discomfort may occur. • Required to work a varying work schedule in order to meet the needs of the business. This would include working evenings and weekends as directed by management. • Conditions may cause physical discomfort due to exposure to variable temperatures in receiving and noise from delivery trucks, fumes from trucks, dirt and dust. Due to direct contact with delivery trucks, forklifts, and use of the bailer machine there is higher risk of personal injury if safe working habits are not practiced. • Output of physical effort is required through lifting, bending, pulling, twisting, etc. Movement of freight by use of ladders and stock pickers is required.
Staples is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including those with disabilities. We will accommodate applicants' needs, upon request, throughout all stages of the recruitment process. Please inform us of the accommodation(s) that you may require. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Customer Service and Support Retail