POSITION TITLE: Sales Professional
REPORTS TO: Sales Manager
1. POSITION OVERVIEW
The Sales Professional manages all activities within the sales cycle from initial contact to final sale for potential and existing customer accounts. The overarching goal is to expand market share profitability.
2. KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
2.1 Sales Management – Grows sales profitability, building strong customer relationships based on a team approach:
- Establish and deliver sales targets to grow revenue and margin through existing and new customers;
- Build a network of strong relationships with customers, sales representatives, distributors and brokers in target markets;
- Maintain an active customer visit schedule;
- Listen, Hear, Interpret customer needs to deliver mutually profitable solutions;
- Develop and implement marketing and sales campaigns to expand existing market share;
- Assess competitive market pricing, review pricing to ensure margin protection, and recommend pricing changes to Senior Management.
2.2 Business Development – Collaborate internally to identify and develop new customers and markets:
- Assess competitive market conditions including supply, demand, emerging trends, and competitors – existing and potential;
- Build and sustain a pipeline of new product concepts and prospective customers;
- Liaise closely and cooperatively with Product Development professionals to deliver new product and concepts to customers;
- Deliver new proposals to prospective customers using a team approach.
2.3 Technical Sales Support – Ensure product and customer technical support meets and exceeds the customers’ (reasonable) expectations:
- Manage customer enquiries knowledgeably and responsively;
- Provide technical support in the functionality and application of the products;
- Manage complaints constructively and creatively seeking a win-win solution;
- Liaises internally to bring a team approach to proactively responding to customer new product requests;
- Predict customer new product needs, and proactively seek new introductions with existing customers.
2.4 Customer Service – Lead coordination of all departments to ensure the customer service requirements are met and exceeded:
Liaise between customer and all internal departments;
- Work closely with operations to schedule product delivery times and maintain (required) inventory levels;
- Communicate customer special requirements clearly;
- Cheer the team on to continually improve levels of customer service.
2.5 Sales Planning – Develop and implement detailed sales plans to achieve sales and margin growth targets:
- Constantly monitor competitive market conditions to identify gaps and areas of opportunity for the Company;
- Develop plans to capitalize on the opportunities while sustaining and growing existing business;
- Forecast customer requirements and work closely with the production scheduling and inventory control teams to ensure delivery of plans.
2.6 Administration – Maintain up-to-date customer databases and customer credit accounts:
- Continuously update customer contact and records files;
- Maintain records of customer interactions, enquiries, complaints, settlements and other comments in an open architecture;
- Work closely with Treasury to keep accounts receivable current;
- Monitor customer credit conditions, and recommend changes to credit limits as required.
2.7 Continuous Improvement – Constantly seek better ways to deliver profitable growth for the Company and its customers:
- Identify and enact improved sales processes;
- Actively seek ways to help customers continuously improve in their use of the Company’s products;
- Inquisitively monitor and learn industry trends, sharing learning with the team;
- Assist all tam members to find ways to continuously improve processes and products.
3. COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills, Ability)
- Comprehensive knowledge of the baking industry with particular emphasis on ingredient formulations and applications.
- Strong sales and business development skills.
- Ability to build and sustain strong relationships working in a team environment.
- Ability to translate technical terminology and information in a manner that creates customer understanding in the application and use of the Company’s products.
- Knowledge of the traded food production business, customers and competitors.
- Understanding of product development techniques including research and testing for existing and/or potential product applications.
- Knowledge of quality assurance requirements in the food industry.
- Knowledge of supply chain logistics including knowledge or regulations, licenses and documentation specific to the domestic market.
- Negotiation skills with emphasis on win-win solutions.
- Strong written and verbal skills to clearly communicate with all levels of the organization and external partners/customers.
- Ability to develop strong customer and internal relationships.
- Ability to work effectively through changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Ability to work well in a diverse cultural environment internally and externally.
- Demonstrated aptitude for continuous learning and professional development.
4. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- 5+ years’ professional sales/business development experience and past success in improving revenue and margin results.
- Relevant diploma/degree in related field. Technical background in food manufacturing and/or processing or Bachelor of Science an asset.
- Self-starter with proven business development skills and the ability to build customer relationships.
- Proficient in MS Office suite of products, particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Capability to work with internal departments, external partners, and diverse personalities in a manner that promotes positive relationships.
- Ability to travel on a limited basis.
· Important Assets:
- Sales, customer service, quality experience within the food processing industry is a strong asset.
- Strong technical background in fruit products and their application within other products.Working knowledge of Spanish and/or French.