The Household Organization team is focused on making Alexa the best assistant to simplify life helping families stay organized and connected to each other and making life run more smoothly. From setting timers while cooking to checking daily schedules and waking up to Alexa's alarm tone or music, we help customers manage their time more easily using only their voice. We also help customers get things done and keep their lives in order with services like shopping and to-do lists that are becoming daily habits for people.
We are looking for a passionate, talented, and inventive scientist to help build industry-leading conversational technologies that our customers love. Our mission is to push the envelope in Natural Language Understanding (NLU), Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR), Dialog Management, and Machine Learning (ML) in order to provide the best-possible customer experience.
As a Research Scientist in our Spoken Language Understanding team, you will be responsible for data-driven improvements to our language models. Your work will directly impact our customers in the form of products and services that make use of speech and language technology. You will:
• Apply and/or develop statistical modeling techniques (e.g. Bayesian models, deep neural networks), optimization methods, and other ML techniques to NLU and ASR.
• Develop efficient and scalable data processing pipelines.
• Build, release, and deploy language models and track their impact on customer experience over time.
• Collaborate with colleagues from science, engineering and business backgrounds to find effective solutions to technical challenges.
• Present proposals and findings from complex analysis and modeling in a clear manner backed by data and coupled with actionable conclusions.
• Provide input for product roadmaps.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Master's degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering, Machine Learning, Statistics, Computational Linguistics or a related quantitative field.
• 5+ years experience in Perl, Python, Matlab, or another scripting language.
• Experience with various machine learning techniques and parameters that affect their performance.
• Experience in statistical language modeling and/or experience in building speech recognition and natural language processing systems.
• Strong communication and data presentation skills.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• PhD with a specialization in speech recognition, natural language processing, or machine learning with at least 2+ years of related work experience.
• 2+ years experience in building, iterating and validating statistical models, including regressions, clustering.
• Scientific thinking and the ability to invent; a track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field.
• Solid software development experience with programming languages such as Java or C++ and tools like git and bash.
• Strong communication, influencing and interpersonal skills.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to deal with ambiguity and convey rigorous mathematical concepts to non-experts.
• Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment.
• Willingness to support several projects at one time and to accept reprioritization as necessary.