The Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences department at UBC is recruiting for a research associate to contribute to a research project on hydroelectric energy.
Main duties will include pure and applied research on Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) for hydroelectric energy production. Supervision and mentoring of grad and undergrad student research. Topics and duties could change in the future depending on grants and contracts received by Prof. Roland Stull.
- PhD in the field of hydrometeorology or atmospheric science
- Experience running distributed hydrologic models
- Familiarity with ensemble and probabilistic weather forecasting methods
- Proficiency with a variety of programming and scripting languages (e.g., C, C++, Fortran, perl, python, R, matlab, html)
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and write journal papers in English
- Experience in supervising undergraduate and graduate students
- three or more years of hydrometeorological work experience after the PhD
- courses taken or taught on probability
- real-world forecasting experience
Salary: negotiable depending on qualifications and experience.
Start date: 1 Apr 2017.
The duration is for 1 year, with renewal possible depending on funding availability and performance.
If interested, please send your CV, unofficial copy of your PhD transcript, and contact info for 3 references, to email@example.com by 15 Nov 2016. Also, please indicate the countries of your citizenship(s).
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. UBC is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes expressions of interest from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. However, Canadians and Permanent Residents of Canada will be given priority.