Research Assistant 2
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated theoretical and practical knowledge with standard histology procedures. Including sample preparation, embedding, microtomy sectioning, H&E staining, immunohistochemistry and cryosectioning. Certification with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) is a plus. What you'll do
What you bring
- Perform a variety of established technical procedures according to written protocols.
- Perform experiments by following established laboratory procedures according to written protocols.
- Record results, including computer data entry
- Provide input regarding modification of procedures as requested by the Department Head, Principal Investigator, or designate.
- Maintain and store cell lines and primary cultures.
- Maintain and store test materials and products.
- Maintain inventory of laboratory supplies and equipment.
- May demonstrate work methods or procedures to less experienced assistants as designated.
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to graduation from a recognized Bachelor's program in an appropriate discipline (e.g. Bachelor of Science); .
- Two (2) years of recent related experience in a research laboratory.
What we bring
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
Job Type: Temporary, Full-Time Opportunity (Until 6/3/2024) Salary Range: $52,156- $68,455. The starting salary for this position would be determined with consideration of the successful candidate's relevant education and experience, and would be in alignment with the provincial compensation reference plan. Salary will be prorated accordingly for part time roles. Location: 675 W 10th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5Z 1G1 Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Hours of Work: Monday - Friday; 08:30 - 16:30 Requisition Number: 144711 As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021. What we do
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services .
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments' unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey-one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of June 1, 2023
. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.