Position Title Regulation of Innate Immunity Student Research Assistant Posting Number 00643SA Location New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level II Salary Range $13.85/hour Position Type Student Research Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/03/2019 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift N/A Work Arrangements
Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2019: September 3, 2019 - December 16, 2019
2. Winter 2020: January 2, 2020 - April 22, 2020
3. Summer 2020: May 4, 2020 - August 16, 2020
This position will be located in Biology Department, Faculty of Science and Technology.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Student Research Assistant will provide support for a project examining the impact of neurohormonal agents, and metabolites, on the innate immune system using in-vitro cell culture models. The student research assistant will work under the supervision of project researchers to investigate the modulation of various immune functions, including phagocytosis, and production of inflammatory mediators.Responsibilities
The student research assistant will be responsible for contributing to a variety of routine laboratory tasks including the following:
- Performing laboratory calculations (e.g. for dilutions, cell counts, magnification)
- Sterile technique, micropipette care and handling
- Preparing solutions, media and solid agar in Petri dishes
- Microscopy and photomicroscopy use
- Spectrophotometer use
- Protein analysis techniques
- Maintaining good laboratory records
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- Satisfactory completion of or Biol 2321 (Cell Biology) and/or Biol 3205 (Genetics) or equivalent course(s).
- The ability to perform, or learn to perform, new laboratory skills, with minimal supervision.
Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in British Columbia throughout the work term
International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 08/09/2019 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Fall 2019
2. Winter 2020
3. Summer 2020
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/4942