Under the direction of the Director of Mental Health Services/designate and as a member of the multidisciplinary care team, the incumbent provides nursing assessments and treatments services for those who may suffer from various psychiatric illnesses and mental disorders. Following the development of the care plan, treatment services are implemented, using appropriate forms of individual or group therapies. The purpose of this team approach is to maximize community functioning and to reduce utilization of acute care services. This includes liaison with other members of the health team and persons in the community. Participates in educational services, planning, program development and policy recommendations. The nurse provides psychiatric nursing perspective to the team in the development of services within the catchment area. Qualifications
- Registration with BC College of Nurses and Midwives as a practicing RN or RPN registrant.
- Current CPR and Blood Glucose Monitoring certification.
- Post graduate psychiatric nursing course for RNâ€™s, Canadian Nurses Association.
- Certification program in psychiatry or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- 2 years experience in the field of psychiatry.
- Valid drivers license.SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to use good judgment and organization skills in providing patient care.
- Knowledge and utilization of the DSM IV in order to establish provisional diagnosis.
- Ability to interpret the Mental Health Act as it relates to patient care and patient rights.
- Ability to provide work direction to others.
- Knowledge of community agencies and resources.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, families, all levels of staff, physicians, other health care workers and the public.
- Ability to assess and deal with emergency situations.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with other effectively.
View Prince George Community