Your future career opportunity
2020 is set to be an exciting year at Seaspan's Vancouver Shipyards, based in North Vancouver BC, as we commence full rate construction of the Royal Canadian Navy's 174m long Joint Support Ship (JSS). We are expanding our steel focused skilled trades teams significantly and we are currently keen to speak with Welders about this exciting opportunity.
As a welder, you will perform a variety of tasks throughout the production process, while upholding Seaspan's Core Values of Safety, Care and Efficiency. You will have an opportunity to develop new skills including specialized welding techniques specific to the shipbuilding industry that use some of the most state-of-the-art shipbuilding equipment and processes in the world.
If you are interested in being part of the regeneration of the Canadian shipbuilding industry and win steady well-paid work spanning the coming decade, then please send us your application today! All candidates must show proof of:
Pipe Welders, Qualifications required:
- Welder Certificate of Qualification with Interprovincial Red Seal Endorsement; or a Welder B Certificate of Qualification with Interprovincial Red Seal Endorsement; or a Recognized Equivalent Provincial Trades Qualification; or a Recognized Equivalent International Trade Qualification
- Minimum of 30 Months Documented Welding Experience
- Demonstrated proficiency of Oxy/Fuel Burning and Plasma Burning in all positions
- Demonstrated Proficiency at air-arc gouging in all positions
- All candidates are required to complete a weld test prior to being offered employment. Testing will be held either in the Shipyard or elsewhere in the Lower Mainland; remote testing will be available early March and late April in various provinces, such as interior BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- CWB All Position FCAW Qualification (X-Ray Documentation Required) with proof of prolongation of process within the last 3 months and a minimum of 6 Months Validity remaining
- CWB All Position SMAW Qualification (X-Ray Documentation Required) with proof of prolongation of process within the last 3 months and a minimum of 6 Months Validity remaining
- BCSA PWP 7 and PWP 10 Qualification (or equivalent) with proof of prolongation of process within the last 6 months
On offer to you
- Comprehend and follow written and spoken directions and work in a safe & efficient manner
- Good communication skills both written and verbal in the English language
- Ability to work in a team environment or individually with a positive attitude
Seaspan is a progressive employer with a collaborative culture that supports health, safety, and diversity. Dispatch for this position will be managed through the Marine & Shipbuilders Union - Local 506 and union membership will be required upon hire. Together we can provide you with a rewarding and challenging long-term career building state-of-the-art ships, as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package.
If you are interested in future opportunities, please apply online today. Disclaimers:
By applying, you agree that Seaspan may share your resume with our Union partner, Marine and Shipbuilders Union Local 506.
If you are experiencing technical issues, email email@example.com
with a copy of your resume.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. Note: Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted
Construction, Mining and Trades