Our law firm client, is a full service law firm with a history of 150 years in Vancouver. They are committed to providing the highest standard of service to their clients, and strives to be one of the top employers in B.C.
They are looking for an intermediate to senior real estate (land development) paralegal to join their busy real estate team. This position will service both their Surrey and Vancouver offices.
Organize and manage mass residential development closings including maintenance of trust balances for deposits, creating Excel datasheets, preparation of developer’s information packages, collection and management of closing documents for each strata lot, payout and disburse sale proceeds for each strata lot
The responsibilities include:
- Preparing and drafting all legal documents, correspondence, and accounts required for completion of the real estate transactions, including review of purchase contracts (for purchaser) and sale contracts (for vendors)
- Liaise with clients, financial institutions, counsel, and other external parties as needed
- Preparing and monitoring critical dates memo and preparing closing agenda and/or reviewing compiling checklists;
- Conducting and reviewing off-title due diligence searches, titles, plans and name searches;
- Drafting comprehensive reporting letter to client on all title and due diligence matters;
- Reviewing tenancy agreements, service contracts, mortgages and etc. to be assumed on closing;
- Drafting modification agreement, notice of subject removal, confirmation of deposit and closing dates, assignment of purchase agreements and notices to be delivered;
- Drafting transactional purchase and sale documents which may include: Form A Transfer, beneficial transfer, bare trust documents, notices and directions, directors and shareholders resolutions, property transfer tax returns, assignment agreements (leases, service contracts, management agreements, permitted encumbrances), bill of general, general conveyance documents, HST/GST certificates, statutory declaration
- Drafting complex statements of adjustments after reviewing property tax notices, rent rolls, lease and tenancy agreements, financial statements, service contracts, etc.
- Drafting all correspondence on file, including undertakings, and dealing with clients, property managers, surveyors, realtors, municipal offices, land title staff and agents and lawyers
- Liaising with lender’s lawyers, including review of commitment letter and preconditions to funding; arranging for and following up with delivery of required documents; obtaining and reviewing corporate records and conducting company searches to assist with providing opinion; preparing underlying directors resolutions; obtaining insurance certificates; receiving, reviewing and arranging for execution of financing documents; returning financing documents on appropriate undertakings;
- Attending to electronic filing of transaction documents in land title office, including dealing with agents and arranging for meets with other lawyers
- Attending to closing of transaction, receiving or paying out of funds; clearing title; post-closing follow up; drafting final reporting letters and assembling closing documents books and confirming satisfaction of undertakings within transaction
- All related reporting and billing.
- Other duties as required.
Job requirements include:
- 5 – 7 plus years’ experience as a real estate paralegal (land development)
- Strong ability to prioritize and handle a high volume of work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to run files from beginning to end
- Ability to work independently but also as part of a team
- Strong computer skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Good analytical and problem-solving abilities