Radiation Therapy Service Technologist Trainee
The Radiation Therapy Service Technologist Trainee performs a variety of duties related to the maintenance, repair, troubleshooting and testing on a variety of radiation therapy and radiation safety equipment, including their operating systems, to ensure the accuracy of machines and minimize machine downtime. What you'll do
- Maintain, service, troubleshoot and test radiation therapy equipment such as linear accelerators, cobalt units, low energy x-ray units, simulators, remote afterloading devices, and related ancillary systems under the direction of the Medical Physics Leader through performing duties such as:
o Assessing and reporting to the Medical Physics Leader or designate, any information regarding the ability of treatment machines (or lack thereof) to function within manufacturers' specifications and/or as required by the program.
o Replacing and/or repairing components such as but not limited to: power supplies, circuit boards, relays, motors, ionization chambers, electron gun filaments, RF components, high tension components.
o Performing RF Tuning, beam steering, beam energy adjustments.
o Handling activated components in the linear accelerator head and disassembling equipment for decommissioning.
o Establishing and maintaining high vacuum conditions in accelerating waveguides.
o Collaborating with Medical Physicists to repair and maintain related electronic equipment such as dosimeters, electrometers and beam scanners, which includes assessing their performance and verifying calibration.
o Second sourcing mechanical and electrical components.
o Conducting appropriate quality control and safety checks.
o Maintaining low dose rate remote afterloading units.
What you bring
- Maintain related records by documenting information regarding maintenance, service, parts, calibration, tests and modifications performed.
- Participate as a member of the care team through performing duties such as functioning as a technical resource within the relevant scope of knowledge on equipment operation for other staff such as radiation therapists, nurses, oncologists and physicists.
- Provide orientation on correct operating procedures to new staff including physics students, as assigned.
- Contribute to the radiation therapy service by performing such duties as designing, constructing and testing electronic accessories relevant to the radiation therapy process.
- Diploma from a recognized training program in Biomedical Engineering or Electronics Technology.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience servicing biomedical equipment or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the Agency.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- An understanding of biomedical equipment advanced level theory
- Ability to work with others including in house service technologists and manufacturer service engineers
- Proficiency in operating biomedical equipment
- Proficiency in diagnosing, repairing and performing preventative maintenance on biomedical equipment
- Ability to recognize personal limitations and only perform tasks that are within their abilities and experience
Skills & Knowledge
What we bring
- Awareness of and commitment to learning and understanding the Truth & Reconciliation Commission's 94 Calls to Action (2015), In Plain Site Report (2020), BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019), and other related reports.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have: Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Regular, Full-Time Wage:
$34.33 to $42.92 per hour Location:
399 Royal Ave, Kelowna, BC V1Y 5L3 Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday; 0700-1500, 0830-1630 or as operationally required Requisition #
135913E As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021. What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments' unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey-one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of December 01, 2022
. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.