Public Health Technologist, Environmental Microbiology, BCCDC Labs
Vancouver BC As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Technologist, Environmental Microbiology, performs routine analysis of water, food, environmental and clinical samples using various techniques to detect surrogate or indicator organisms and infectious disease agents for public health audits and surveillance and for confirmation of food-borne, waterborne and gastrointestinal (GI) disease outbreaks, evaluates and verified results, interprets data and prepared related reports and is responsible for routine quality control and maintenance of equipment and facilities. What you'll do
What you bring
- Participate in day-to-day work activities in the Environmental Microbiology Program by testing drinking, recreational and waste water with membrane filtration, multiple tube fermentation and enzyme substrate procedure for detection and identification of indicator organisms for public health audits and surveillance.
- Perform routine analysis of ready-to-eat food for surrogate or indicator organisms in assessing sanitary quality.
- Participate in food-borne and waterborne disease outbreak investigation by testing food, water, environmental and clinical samples for disease-causing organisms using microscopic, culturing, biochemical, immunological and nucleic acid detection techniques.
- Perform routine examination of stool and vomit samples for Norovirus by RT-PCR procedure in investigation of GI disease outbreaks.
- Prepare stock solutions and reagents following standard operating procedures.
You also have demonstrated:
- Certification with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- One (1) year of recent, related experience including experience in a clinical and research based laboratory or an equivalent combination of education, training and recent related experience.
What we bring
- Knowledge of microbiology, molecular biology and biosafety.
- Ability in writing scientific manuscripts an asset and performing literature searches.
- Ability to troubleshoot unexpected results.
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to be self-motivated, manage time, and work independently.
- Ability to operate related equipment and use related software.
- Knowledge of basic computer software.
- Physical ability to perform the job.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Three (3) Temporary, Full-Time Opportunities
- Req # 128482E, Job Type: Temporary, Full-Time (Until June 05, 2023), Work Hours: Mon to Sun; Rotating Sat & Sun; 0830-1630/ 0900-1700
- Req # 129678E and 129680E, Job Type: Temporary, Full-Time (UntilJuly 25, 2023), Work Hours: Mon to Fri; Rotating Sat & Sun; 0830-1630/ 0900-1700
$30.90 to $38.63 per hour Location:
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 4R4 What we do
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of BC, including acute care hospital laboratories and specialty laboratories. LM Labs is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and LM Labs are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of July 21, 2022
. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.