Public Health Technologist, Bacteriology and Mycology
Vancouver BC Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA effective October 26, 2021.
The Technologist performs technical procedures involved in the Bacteriology and Mycology Laboratory. What you'll do
What you bring
- Participate in day-to-day work activities in Bacteriology by testing clinical and other specimens using various microscopy methods, bacterial culture, tissue culture and nucleic acid techniques, and evaluating and verifying results according to established procedures.
- Identify cell types, bacteria and yeast, using the Gram stain, fluorescent microscopy and molecular techniques and report results using the results to interpret specimen quality and various pathological processes.
- Identify pathogens by serotyping and using molecular techniques such as PCR, sequencing and other methods.
- Perform bacterial culture, judge bacterial growth both qualitatively and quantitatively, and, using a variety of techniques, determine the significance of the culture results.
- Perform susceptibility testing by utilizing automated and manual procedures and use available resources to accept results or perform additional testing if necessary; recognise when to report or suppress susceptibility testing results.
- Prepare stock solutions and reagents following standard operating procedures.
- Certification with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- One (1) year of recent related experience including experience in a research based laboratory or an equivalent combination of education, training and recent related experience.
You have also demonstrated:
What we bring
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to be self-motivated, manage time, and work independently.
- Ability to operate equipment and related software.
- Ability and familiarity with computer software.
- Experience in various molecular methods.
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance principles.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
$30.90 to $38.63 per hour
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver BC, V5Z 4R4
Hours of Work:
3 days/week on rotation as required; may include weekends
114578 What we do
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of BC, including acute care hospital laboratories and specialty laboratories. LM Labs is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and LM Labs are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of September 30, 2021
. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.