Public Health Technologist Bacteriology and Mycology, BC Centre for Disease Control, LM Labs, $29.70 to $37.04 per hour What you'll do
What you bring
- Participate in day-to-day work activities in Bacteriology by testing clinical and other specimens using various microscopy methods, bacterial and tissue culture methods by evaluating and verifying results according to established procedures.
- Identify cell types, bacteria and yeast, using the Gram stain, fluorescent microscopy and commercial molecular techniques (which provide automated interpretation) and report results using the results to interpret specimen quality and various pathological processes.
- Perform bacterial culture, judge bacterial growth both qualitatively and quantitatively, and, using a variety of techniques to determine the significance of the culture results.
- Perform susceptibility testing by utilizing automated and manual procedures and use available resources to accept results or perform additional testing if necessary; recognize when to report or suppress susceptibility testing results.
- Prepare stock solutions and reagents following standard operating procedures.
What's in it for you
- A diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology OR Bachelor of Science in Microbiology or related biological science relevant to the assigned section.
- Certification with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- One (1) year of recent related experience including experience in a research-based laboratory or an equivalent combination of education, training and recent related experience.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
Temporary, Full-Time (until November 2020)
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Wage: $29.70 to $37.04 per hour
655 W 12th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4R4
Until position is filled
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat and Monday STATS on rotation; 0815-1630, 0915-1730 on rotation
Requisition Number: 89389 What we do
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LML) lmlabs.phsa.ca provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of B.C., including acute care hospital laboratories and and specialty laboratories.
Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of November 28, 2019
. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Labor Agreement Health Science Professionals Requisition # 89389-2334203 Work Site 655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver Job Type Temporary, Full-Time Temporary Duration 12 Months Salary/Rate $29.70 - $37.04 / Hour FTE 1.00 Hours of Work 0815-1630, 0915-1730 on rotation Work Days Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat and Monday STATS on rotation Expiry Date 17-Dec-2019