Central Okanagan Public Schools
PROJECT MANAGER – OPERATIONS
It is acknowledged that Central Okanagan Public Schools operates within the unceded, Traditional Territory of the Okanagan syilx peoples. The School District enrolls approximately 24,000 students (including over 3000 students who self-identify as having Indigenous ancestry). Central Okanagan Public Schools is located in the Central Okanagan encompassing the communities of Peachland, West Kelowna, Kelowna, and Lake Country. There are a total of 51 school sites with 33 Elementary Schools, 8 Middle schools, 5 Secondary Schools, 3 Learning Centres, an Alternate Education School, and an Online Learning School (K-12). Central Okanagan Public Schools has an excellent reputation for providing outstanding, student-centered programs in a diverse and inclusive environment as well as offering a wide range of educational opportunities for its students and staff.
Applications are invited for the excluded staff position of Project Manger to join the District's Operation Team. Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Project Manager is responsible for assisting the management team in the planning, implementation, and completion of minor and major capital projects with a broad range of values. The Project Manager coordinates with a unionized CUPE staff on a daily basis to ensure regular routine maintenance is carried out. This is project management work involving technical, contractual, planning and financial activities required for capital project delivery. The work involves applying project management and technical knowledge to new school construction, minor and major renovation projects, while integrating long-term maintenance considerations and budget limitations. The Project Manager negotiates fees and construction costs, directs the activities of architects, consultants, contractors and liaises with school administrators on behalf of the school board. Financial recordkeeping of individual projects on the computer is required. The individual exercise considerable independence in judgment and action in order to maintain the project budget and schedule for several projects simultaneously. This is an exempt position with a competitive salary range of $88,026 to $110,032 plus benefits package, including participation in a defined benefit pension plan.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages production of contract documentation and administers contracts including correspondence, plans and specifications, approval documentation, notices of changes, change orders, contractual notices and invoices.
- Liaises with architects, consultants, contractors, municipal authorities, other jurisdictions and school administrators to ensure that the interest and needs of the school board are reflected in the final project.
- Participates in a consultative process with facility users, designers, and senior management during the planning phase of projects.
- Manages assigned projects from start to completion, ensuring legislative and contract compliance for satisfactory project completion.
- Carries out regular field reviews of contract progress to ensure general conformance with the contract documents and prepares progress reports. Ensures satisfactory contractor performance; directs the change order process.
- Ensures satisfactory project completion within the authorized budget and schedule.
- Provides computerized financial recordkeeping of ongoing projects by reviewing and approving invoices, preparing and maintaining detailed project cost reports showing commitments, expenditures and available funding. Prepares design aid sheets for existing buildings and proposed projects.
- Manages contract and legal dispute processes as required. Provides dispute and claims resolution advice for senior management on legal claims issues. Resolves contractual issues up to a designated level. Recommends and carries out contract termination in cases of unsatisfactory performance.
- Ensures all projects are compliant with all regulatory bodies.
- Prepares project cost and status reports for Administration, Board and Ministry review and approval.
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned by the Director of Operations or designate.
Knowledge and Abilities Requirements:
- Thorough knowledge of construction contract law, CCDC documents, MMCD documents, RAIC, public tendering practice, bonding and surety, bid depository rules and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of up-to-date building technology for architectural, mechanical, electrical and structural disciplines. Thorough knowledge of materials and methods used in building construction. Considerable knowledge of contracting practices, consultant and trade management.
- Ability to read and understand drawings and specifications.
- Ability to recognize errors, deficiencies and faulty workmanship of designers and contractors.
- Ability to develop, implement and maintain detailed Critical Path schedules.
- Ability to effectively utilize Windows computers including word processing, spreadsheets, database and communications software.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, school and maintenance staff, consultants, city inspectors and others.
- Able to interpret and effectively manage multiple and competing priorities and timelines.
- Strong critical thinking, troubleshooting, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree or Diploma in engineering or related discipline, plus minimum five years supervisory project experience, with minimum five years project management experience.
- Eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer, PMP, Applied Science Technologist in an appropriate discipline, or registration as a professional in a relevant field.
- Consideration will also be given to a graduate of an Institute of Technology or a Trades Certificate with appropriate experience.
- Valid BC Driver’s License. (Business use of personal vehicle may be required)
This is an exempt position with a competitive annual salary plus benefits package. Interested qualified applicants are invited to submit an online application at https://bit.ly/3MpcvlO.
Please include a letter of application, complete with a comprehensive resume and copies of supporting documentation with the names of three references no later than Friday, June 16, 2023, at 4:00 pm. For questions on the position, please contact Rob Drew, Director of Operations, at email@example.com.
Education and Training Engineering Management and Executive