Position Title Programmer Analyst Posting Number 00967SA Location New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level S - Pay Level 17 + Market Adjustment Salary Range $66,394 annually (with wage increments to a max of $75,256 annually). Salary and wage increments are in accordance with the Collective Agreement. Position Type Support Staff - Regular Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Regular Employment Type Full-Time Posting Category Staff Start Date 11/30/2020 End Date Day of the Week Mondays to Fridays Shift 8:30 am - 4:30 pm Work Arrangements
This regular, full-time (35 hours per week) position is available starting November 30, 2020. Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. Shift days and times may change depending on the Department's need. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required. Flexible schedule may be available after probationary period.
The position is located at the New Westminster campus; however, successful candidate must be available for occasional work at the Coquitlam campus.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
Programmer Analysts/ Application Administrator provides analysis and development support of the College's enterprise computer systems. They ensure the support of the systems development life-cycle, beginning with the definition of the initial functional requirements to the delivery of a completed system. They provide business analysis, technical requirements, technical support and application administration for the College's enterprise database applications. They provide exceptional client-centered service on a consistent basis to all stakeholder groups.Responsibilities
1. Provides systems development and enhancement services based on requirements analysis.
a) Determines and evaluates needs for a system or enhancement, gathers and analysis program requirements, develops detailed design specifications, writes accurate and efficient code.
b) Understands the business requirements, creates test cases and conducts unit and integration testing , tests changes in conjunction with affected user departments all within agreed time frames; plans for implementation of changes in development and testing environments.
c) Incorporates security policy requirements in coding practices.
d) Provides assistance in preparing and implementing changes.
e) Recommends and performs upgrades to application software and hardware.
f) Documents the results of each stage of the analysis, design, programming and change implementation process.
g) Identifies problem situations and recommends, formulates, and executes solutions.
h) Communicates with user representatives.
i) Recommends changes to standards; uses agreed standards in the development of systems.
2. Performs Application Administration and provides technical, developmental and operational support for enterprise software and web servers.
a) Installs, upgrades, configures, maintains and supports applications, web software and web servers.
b) Tracks vendor releases and changes.
c) Documents support procedures, documents application install, upgrade procedures and configurations.
d) Ensures security of applications and web servers.
e) Ensures the application is available and working optimally.
3. Performs general duties in support of the College's enterprise computer systems.
a) Evaluates the content and functionality of upgraded/new software packages.
b) Maintains ongoing communication with software suppliers.
c) Works with external and internal contacts to assist with problem solving.
d) Produces and manages documentation for supported applications.
e) Identifies opportunities to improve/streamline complex/manual business processes and recommends solutions where appropriate.
f) Provides backup to the Database Administration functions, including monitoring the use of available disk space; plans and schedules upgrades to the database; assists in formal documentation of all changes to the database structure.
4. Other Related Duties
a) Provides information, technical assistance and support to users.
b) Attends internal and external meetings.
c) Creates and maintains user documentation for technical and non-technical users.
d) Delivers training to users and peers in software functionality and business processes.
e) Stays current with technology trends that may be relevant to College Systems.
f) Maintains and upgrades technical currency by attending courses and training activities; reviewing professional publications; participating in professional societies.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
1. A Bachelor's Degree in Computing Science or equivalent IT Program from a recognized post-secondary educational institution supplemented by a minimum of three years' relevant experience in programming and analysis, utilizing structured programming techniques or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
2. Should have the following Skills:
- Object Oriented Programming
- Complex problem solving
- Operations Analysis
- Quality control Analysis
- Acquire the knowledge of applications in the organization
- Ability to quickly acquire an understanding of the business
3. Demonstrated experience with:
- Hibernate, Tomcat, Spring, Grails, Jenkins, GIT , GIT Lab (an asset), AngularJS and jQuery, Junit, Selenium, JSON HTML5, CSS
- Several programming and scripting languages such as SQL / ANSI SQL , PL/ SQL , PHP , Java, JDBC , Groovy, Python (an asset)
- REST and SOAP APIs
- Working in UNIX , Linux and MS Windows server operating systems.
- Enhancing/ developing Enterprise Resource Planning multi module application software.
- Change management, version control.
- Writing secure code.
4. Good knowledge and thorough understanding of MVC framework, web technologies.
5. A demonstrated ability to:
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Work with others in a team environment.
- Establish priorities and achieve deadlines.
- Communicate effectively in person, on the phone and in writing with administrators, faculty, staff, development team and external vendors.
- Establish and maintain application specific documentation and operational procedures.
6. Requires strong interpersonal skills including a demonstrated ability to establish develop and maintain effective working relationships with administrators, faculty and staff.
7. Good working knowledge of the English language (verbal and written).
8. Proven record, including continual training, upgrading and/or certification, of programming tools, business functions and of emerging technologies.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Open Date 10/28/2020 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position. ALL INTERNAL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY NOVEMBER 4, 2020. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/6610
Administrative Operations and Logistics