The Product Development Services group is seeking a Product Safety Engineer
for a permanent full-time position. The successful applicant will work as a member of Ballard's product safety and compliance team. Work will focus on working with engineering teams to apply Ballard's product safety process, and acting as a subject matter expert on issues related to hydrogen and electrical safety. Additional scope of work will include developing improvements to Ballard product safety processes, developing design guidelines for safety approaches, participating in external standards development activities, and conducting testing related to product safety. Responsibilities:
- Conduct and facilitate hazard and risk assessments on fuel cell products.
- Work with engineering teams to develop effective solutions and approaches to potential product safety issues.
- Analyze data using appropriate statistical tools, and link observations to physical mechanisms.
- Conduct occasional testing on fuel cell products to verify product safety and investigate failure mechanisms.
- Work with engineering teams and customers to resolve product safety issues during development and in the field.
- Follow sound engineering practice regarding design documentation, document control, change management and failure investigations.
- Work with R&D, supply chain, and manufacturing organizations to resolve technical issues related to product safety.
- Represent Ballard in the development of industry and government standards.
- Occasional travel (~5%) may be required to support customer projects and standards development.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Science or Engineering. Related experienced is an advantage.
- Experience with hazard and risk assessment methodologies, and engineering processes such as DFMEA and fault tree analysis.
- Working knowledge of areas such as electrical hazards and safety, fire & explosion hazards and safety, and control design for functional safety.
- Working knowledge of engineering instrumentation and the application of statistics to data analysis.
- Hands-on experience in mechanical & electrical component fabrication an asset.
- Strong oral & written communications skills
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.