Position Title Probationary Regular - English Upgrading (ENGU) Posting Number 00183F Location New Westminster/Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level In accordance with the current Collective Agreement Salary Range In accordance with the current Collective Agreement Position Type Faculty - Probationary Regular Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Regular Employment Type Full Time Posting Category Faculty Start Date 08/16/2019 End Date Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
The English Upgrading Department in the Faculty of Language, Literature, and Performing Arts is currently seeking a probationary regular instructor qualified to teach all of the following courses: Literacy-level (100-level), Fundamental-level (200-level), Intermediate-level (300-level) and Advanced-level (400-level) Reading and Writing. Candidates with experience in Literacy instruction will be given first consideration.
It is important to note that this is not an English as a Second Language ( ESL ) position.
For the 2019-2020 academic year, there are 8 sections (full-time) of work available over three semesters (4 sections in Fall 2019, 2 sections in Winter 2020, and 2 sections in Summer 2020).
Workload is assigned each year based on available work.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
Probationary Regular Instructor - English Upgrading DepartmentResponsibilities
As a probationary regular instructor in the English Upgrading Department, you will
- develop course outlines following curriculum guidelines,
- select appropriate textbooks and create teaching materials,
- delivery quality-centred instructions
- design assignments and assessment criteria,
- evaluate student progress,
- hold regular office hours,
- participate in curriculum revision and development,
- participate in student placement testing,
- attend departmental and Faculty-Wide meetings,
- share in departmental and Faculty-Wide responsibilities, and
- maintain currency in the field through regular professional development.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
Successful candidates will:
- possess a minimum of a Master's Degree in a discipline that requires academic essay writing,
- provide a detailed record of relevant experience in adult education, with a focus on literacy and academic preparation (non- ESL ),
- have experience teaching students with a wide range of learning needs and accommodations,
- have an awareness and understanding of student social and cultural diversity,
- have demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team, excellent communication skills, and ability to work well with others.
A recognized teaching credential is an asset.
Link to Full Position Profile
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 07/10/2019 Close Date 07/23/2019 Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Please ensure that a detailed Resume and Cover Letter are submitted on line by July 23, 2019.
First review date will be July 25, 2019, and we anticipate interviewing on August 1 or August 2, 2019.
Interested applicants must ensure that a resume and cover letter are submitted online.
Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying.
All candidates selected for interview will need to provide original sealed transcripts for educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/4702
Education and Training