PRESIDING ELECTION OFFICIAL
2022 West Vancouver General Local Election Casual, Non-Union
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, beaches, and to sports, recreation and arts amenities. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs that enhance the well- being of our community. We are seeking employees with a passion for public service who share our commitment to creating a complete, inclusive and livable community.
The District of West Vancouver is currently looking for Presiding Election Officials (PEOs) for general voting day for the General Local Election on Saturday, October 15, 2022
and for advance voting opportunities.
PEOs are responsible for the administration and conduct of voting at an assigned voting place and supervision of election officials at the voting place on general voting day. PEOs ensure that the voting place is safe and accessible, voting procedures are followed correctly, and issues related to voters and candidate representatives are managed and successfully resolved.
This position will be responsible for:
- General conduct of the voting place on general voting day.
- Ensuring compliance with election procedures and rules by all election officials and voters in the voting place.
- Working on an advance voting day or days.
- Conducting a site visit to their assigned voting place before general voting day.
- Picking up equipment and supplies from election headquarters on the day before general voting day.
- Supervising the setup of the voting place, including the vote tabulator, laptops, ballot box and all other equipment and supplies.
- Operation of the vote tabulator.
- Taking any required declarations.
- Supervising election officials.
- Supervising electronic voter registration.
- Assisting voters as may be required through the voting process.
- Maintaining contact with and reporting election results to election headquarters.
- Managing the packing of equipment and supplies and the closing of the voting place.
- Delivering the equipment and supplies to election headquarters at the close of voting.
Presiding Election Officials must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Be legally entitled to work in British Columbia and Canada.
- Have the use of a vehicle on general voting day, October 15, 2022.
- Be responsible for their own transportation to and from their voting place.
- Attend a mandatory training session.
- Not be related to any candidate running for office in the general election.
- Not be actively working for any election campaign or any candidate.
The successful candidate will possess: knowledge of and experience with the election process and the election provisions of the Local Government Act; excellent verbal and written communication skills; proficient computer skills, ability to interact with voters and clearly communicate election procedures; ability to understand and follow written instructions and checklists; and excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. The candidate must hold or have the ability to acquire a valid BC Class 5 Driver's License. The successful candidate is also required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of hire. Position Status:
Casual, Non-UnionHours of Work:
Approximately 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. or until duties are fulfilled on General Voting Day; minimum 4 hour shift on one of the advance voting days; 3 hour mandatory training session on a date scheduled during the week of September 5, 2022; visit to assigned voting place; and pick up and drop off of election supplies at election headquarters.Rate of Pay:
$475.00 for general voting day; prorated hourly fee for advance voting day shifts worked plus a $50 training feeClosing Date: 11:59 p.m. on June 3, 2022
Please visit the District of West Vancouver's Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers
to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.