Practice Leader, Genetic Counselling
BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre
Vancouver, BC As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Practice Leader, Genetic Counselling is responsible for the delivery of genetic counselling clinical and academic services consistent with the mission, vision, values and strategic directions of the PHSA. The Practice Leader directly provides practice leadership, participates in the planning, delivery, and evaluation of services, and provides input into human resource and financial resource management. Additionally the Practice Leader supports program leaders in decision-making processes surrounding care delivery, clinical competencies, clinical practice, and standards of care. What you'll do
What you bring
- Ensure professional association standards, certification requirements, practice guidelines, and the code of ethics for genetic counselling are understood, monitored and maintained.
- Identify profession specific performance evaluation standards and processes. In collaboration with Program Leaders provide input to professional competency development and evaluation of staff performance appraisal. Develop strategies to address and remediate performance issues if required.
- In consultation with PMGP, and in collaboration with Program Leaders, participate in the planning and coordination of service delivery, including the development of practice guidelines, goals, objectives and interprofessional clinical pathways using evidence-based practice.
- Ensure that clinical supervision to staff is provided as required and to meet collective agreement requirements and acts a mentor, along with others, to Genetic Counsellors. Ensures that a process and mechanisms are in place for ongoing clinical and peer consultation (i.e. practice councils, mentors, etc).
- Maintain and update knowledge by methods such as reviewing relevant literature, evaluating clinical practice and together with education resources, develops processes for defining and implementing practice skills for Genetic Counselling and supports the utilization of their full scope of practice.
- Provide consultative services to medical and other professional groups, or identify a resource to do so, on Genetic Counselling related issues. Act as a clinical resource contact person to Genetic Counsellors, the agency, the academic and university environment, other health care facilities and community services.
- Masters degree in medical Genetics, Genetic Counselling, Social Work or other Health Science discipline.
- Six (6) years of recent, related experience including two (2) years leadership experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Board certified or eligibility for certification with the Canadian Association of Genetic Counsellors and/or American Board of Genetic Counsellors.
You demonstrate knowledge of:
- Genetic Counselling theory and practice.
- Organization policies, procedures, and standards of care.
- Health care disciplines and their role in client care.
You are able to
What we bring
- Provide leadership, supervision, work direction and training.
- Work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Function as an effective leader, mentor, coach and facilitator.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time Wage: $43.43 to $54.31 per hour Location: 4500 Oak Street, Vancouver, BC V6H 2N9 Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Hours of Work: Monday to Friday; 0800-1600 Requisition Number: 121080 What we do
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is dedicated to improving the health of women, newborns and families through a comprehensive range of services, research and education. BCW is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCW are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment. ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of January 24, 2022
. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.