Policy Analyst (Full Time, 13 Months)
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Job Function: Compliance Investigation and Legal Overview:
BCLC's two offices are located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Indian Band), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples in Vancouver and the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc territory, situated within the Secwépemc Nation in Kamloops. We honour and respect the people, the territory, and the land we are part of.
We instill public trust by ensuring the highest standards of integrity in gaming and promoting BCLC, Service Providers, Lottery Retailers and eGaming compliance with the laws and regulations pertaining to our business.
As a Crown Corporation that earns more than a billion dollars in annual revenue, BCLC's commitment to giving funds back to the province is an integral part of our business, but still only one piece of the picture. At BCLC, we exist to generate win-wins for the greater good. We believe everything we do must benefit the well-being of all involved. Through our Social Purpose, we aspire to make sure, in all of our endeavours and transactions and relationships - in the most important sense of life, livelihood, meaning, and well-being - nobody loses, and every person we touch comes out ahead. BCLC is committed to creating a welcoming workplace where everyone feels safe, included, and valued. For us, that means building a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We all are winners when differences are respected, valued and celebrated.
Joining the Legal, Compliance, Security (LCS) team at BCLC means you'll be working with a trusted, player focused team of professionals dedicated to ensuring the safety of our players and that our business does not create an opportunity for illicit activities. This is the group that oversees anti-money laundering, investigations, compliance, corporate security, asset protection, privacy, freedom of information, records management, legal services, corporate policies and data governance, which form the basis of many things we do at BCLC. Job Summary:
The Policy Analyst role ensures that corporate policies and related documents are developed in alignment with BCLC's governance model and in compliance with governing legislation, regulations and directives. This role conducts research, develops policy and related documents, and provides guidance, analysis and advice to business units. The Policy Analyst plays a key role in maintaining processes and documentation and supporting the implementation and communication of policy. Key Accountabilities:
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Conducts diverse, complex and specialized research and analysis.
- Provides advice and recommendations to develop policy that supports BCLC goals, objectives, strategic initiatives and operations.
- Participates in operational meetings and provides input into operational plans to identify policy needs and implications.
- Proactively drives new requirements to completion to ensure policy alignment to current business needs.
- Develops policy to support the gaming business and operations of the organization and may liaise with external stakeholders.
- Supports departmental projects and initiatives as required.
Education and Experience
- University degree in a relevant discipline or a two-year college diploma supplemented by industry-recognized professional courses and/or certifications;
- 3-5 years relevant research and business writing experience with a minimum of three years in policy development and analysis;
- Experience developing policy at corporate and operational levels in a multi-faceted organization;
- Experience in planning and managing the change and communication necessary to successfully implement policy;
- Experience working in an industry with a complex regulatory structure is an asset;
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
- Sound knowledge of principles, concepts, practices, techniques and tools in the areas of policy writing, research, analysis, and data mining;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including a team-oriented collaborative approach to problem solving;
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills with the ability to contribute policy, reporting and recommendations at various levels, including to an Executive or Board-level audience;
- Excellent problem solving, analytical thinking and ability to make sound judgments and recommendations;
- Strong computer skills - MS office suite;
- Possesses a good overall understanding of risk controls and compliance, as well as legislation, regulation and directives;
- Demonstrated skills to co-ordinate and manage policy development and approvals effectively within schedules and to meet deadlines;
- Knowledge of gaming industry and regulation is an asset.
- Effective November 22, 2021, BCLC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with BCLC unless a legal exemption is obtained.
- To build a rich diverse workforce representing the communities which we serve, we welcome applications from people of all colours and cultures, persons with diverse abilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQAI+ community.
- BCLC values work life balance and offers remote work options for its employees.
- Relocation assistance is available for successful job candidates.
- If you are in need of accommodation or special assistance at any step of your application, please send an email with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For over more than a decade, we have been recognized as one of BC's Top Employers - and we are constantly seeking ways to improve our employee and player experience. To learn more about BCLC, please visit: https://corporate.bclc.com/
This opportunity will remain open until a qualified candidate pool has been established.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada and be 19 years of age to work at BCLC.
Banking, Finance and Insurance Other